Author Topic: Speakers make static "poofs"  (Read 1985 times)

I couldn't find relevant help on Google so I thought I'd ask if you guys might know what the forget is going on.

My speakers will randomly start making static bursts that sound like little *poofs*. It normally starts quiet and gets louder at random increments, like *ssst, ssST, SSSST, ssst, SSsst, ssST, SSST SSST SST* and stops for a little while and does it again (usually about an hour apart). It normally only lasts a few seconds but the other day it had a bout that lasted a good 10 seconds. I know it's not my speakers cause it's done this on both sets I've had connected to this computer. Is it my sound card or something?

Hmm, sounds like a flakey connection. Unless you're a wire wizz and know how to actually replace the head of the wire for the speakers with a new one, then I suggest getting a whole new wire/speaker system.

Phone. Somebody go get the phone...

I don't know. I thing you might have broken your speakers because you used them as a love toy last night...

Do you have another audio jack?  If so, try that one.

Try headphones.

Try speakers on the music player of your choice far away from any computers and such.

I couldn't find relevant help on Google so I thought I'd ask if you guys might know what the forget is going on.

My speakers will randomly start making static bursts that sound like little *poofs*. It normally starts quiet and gets louder at random increments, like *ssst, ssST, SSSST, ssst, SSsst, ssST, SSST SSST SST* and stops for a little while and does it again (usually about an hour apart). It normally only lasts a few seconds but the other day it had a bout that lasted a good 10 seconds. I know it's not my speakers cause it's done this on both sets I've had connected to this computer. Is it my sound card or something?

Oh yeah, this happens to me, how old are your speakers?

Any phones near speakers of any type will have the phone radio waves get somehow caught by the speakers and will make some sort of static noise.

Put your phone a few yards away or something.

If you have an ohmmeter(or a multimeter) check the resistances in the coil and the whole circuit. You may have an open or a short somewhere. I'm sure you can look up the model number for a spec list which should list the typical circuit resistance. Also, check for any rips, tears, or dents in the diaphragm.
Hmm, sounds like a flakey connection. Unless you're a wire wizz and know how to actually replace the head of the wire for the speakers with a new one, then I suggest getting a whole new wire/speaker system.
Stop breathing.

Phone. Somebody go get the phone...

I don't know. I thing you might have broken your speakers because you used them as a love toy last night...
Go forget yourself.

check the wireing between the speakers and computer, the problem might be dust or its not pluged in all the way or pluged in the wrong way. if this doesn't work try different ideas or you might have to get inside your computer

Edit: the wire might also be cut or chipped a little, especially if you have pets.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 01:02:36 AM by Nightmare-Duckie »

We had this problem with some speakers before, never really figure out whats wrong because we tried a different pair but they blew the sound card on the older computer we had.

My speakers do that now and then. It's interference from cell phone towers sending data packets to and from your cellular phone. Nothing wrong with it, just can't have a phone near them if you don't want to hear the sound. It's similar to when you hold a microphone to an amp or speaker.