Author Topic: Something...with my computer. (Now looking for a small, inexpensive, upgrade.)  (Read 1345 times)

I'm really confused. Since day one, this damned thing has given me trouble. I ran a couple games on vista, only to get extremely poor frame rates and such. Vista would take forever to do things (Though I blame that on the processor).

Here is where it gets confusing. I set up a dual boot with Ubuntu (Ubuntu ran MUCH faster.), and it does the same exact thing, with the same exact frame rates. (poor frame rates even in Half-Life based games, though I noticed frames would drop most when grenades/explosives went off, which also made me think it was a processor thing.)

In Source games, fps would boost up when backed into a corner, no matter what map.

Specs:

1.6ghz Intel Celeron 420
1gb RAM
Integrated Intel_945GM (Or some video similar to it, I'll boot up Vista and see what DxDiag says later.)

Blockland and Warsow run fine for whatever reason.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 05:19:23 PM by n0cturni »

Meh, on Vista many games don't react at all when you press Enter, which kills it

That doesn't relate to anything.... :\

It relates to Vista =D
I'm really confused. Since day one, this damned thing has given me trouble. I ran a couple games on vista, only to get extremely poor frame rates and such. Vista would take forever to do things (Though I blame that on the processor).

(Or some video similar to it, I'll boot up Vista and see what DxDiag says later.)           
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 03:57:42 PM by Spaceblockhead »

What.

I tried running games in Ubuntu, and got the SAME, EXACT issues as I did with Vista.

Also, why did you quote my specs?

You're graphics card is giving you poor rated Id say*
*May be wrong

How about we all stop blaming the OS for what is clearly an issue with underpowered hardware.

Solution: Upgrade. Integrated Intel graphics chipsets are synonymous with the word "stuff".

Bah.

I'd upgrade but I don't want to pay too much for a graphics card if the cpu (which I won't upgrade) will just bottleneck the gpu.

If I do upgrade, I would only want something that matches the cpu.

Also if anyone who knows about the subject wants to help, here is my motherboard. (Different spec page)

Not sure if the PCI-E slot is 2.0 or whatever.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:26:31 PM by n0cturni »

What's left to help you with? Reactor Worker already gave you the answer you were looking for.

What to get.

I know I have to upgrade, just lost as far as what to get. I don't want to buy a gpu that will be bottlenecked by the cpu. I'm basically asking for a stuffty video card that is just a step above onboard.

The cheapest one that I could find with a fan (looks like the best thing I can get without overpaying): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130044
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:42:17 PM by n0cturni »

Nvidia 8500 and up is usually good for most games nowadays

I have an 8400 :(
Is it normal for its standard temperature to be around 65?

I remember seeing somewhere that anything below 70C is fine.

Not sure how accurate that is, but I trust it.

Just get a new computer n0cturni. That thing is not worth upgrading.

Haha
Isnt this the computer his uncle got him?