Author Topic: HALP: Computer booting up, restarting, and Monitor=no signal  (Read 4270 times)

Never, ever, buy anything computer related because its a deal. No where is "You get what you pay for" truer then computer building.

Something similar happend to me.
My sister froze up a game for saving it 3 times in 30 second, and when I was able to Ctrl - Alt - Del, my monitor turned to standby mode. So I turned it back on again
and the little light was green, but then it made a *Click* and it went into standby.
And I HAVE to shut off my computer by pressing Turn Off in the start menu, I just can't click the little power button on the computer, so I turned off the breaker switch, turned it back on adn, Voila.

9600GSO models
Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply
(minimum +12 Volt current rating of 22 amps)
An available 6 pin PCI-E power connector

Rosewill RP500 500W
+3.3V@30A, +5V@45A, +12V@26A, +5V@0.5A, -12V@1A, +5VSB@2.5A

The power supply should be OK, but you did choose a really bad brand. Don't be such a cheap-ass next time. It is quite likely that if failed.

Other than that, try booting into Safe mode or trying alternate components to isolate the point of failure.

Rosewill RP500 500W
+3.3V@30A, +5V@45A, +12V@26A, +5V@0.5A, -12V@1A, +5VSB@2.5A
Other than that, try booting into Safe mode or trying alternate components to isolate the point of failure.

I can't boot into safe mode if I don't have a signal.

But in about 10 minutes I'll be blowing the dust out with our air compressor.
Hopefully that will help it.

Because I thought about why would the power supply fail just NOW instead of all time between now and three months ago.
And then I realized it's probably wouldn't fail as it didn't have enough of something that builds up over time to make it lose efficiency, dust.

Does you computer beep when it loads the BIOS?  Does it beep in now?  If yes, no; then remove the card and see if you can get it to load BIOS.

Also I still think you should try this:
or he could try unplugging any accessories(lan card, cd drive, extra HDs) and see if it can boot.

Cleaning out dust did not help. I'm going to go and save up money for a new power supply.

Darn, now I won't have any money to buy other things :(

YES, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME!
Something's wrong with the cpu cooler, might've fried the motherboard, check if the cpu is touching it.

Cleaning out dust did not help. I'm going to go and save up money for a new power supply.

Darn, now I won't have any money to buy other things :(

TapeDeck actually has the right idea. Before you go out and spend money on a new PSU, unplug everything from the motherboard other than the memory, CPU, CPU heatsink and the power connections. You'll need to create a jumper for the powersupply to start it without the case switch. Search online for a guide...it isn't hard.

If it fails to past POST (IE. it doesn't emit a series of beeps) then the problem is likely with your motherboard, not the PSU.

TapeDeck actually has the right idea. Before you go out and spend money on a new PSU, unplug everything from the motherboard other than the memory, CPU, CPU heatsink and the power connections. You'll need to create a jumper for the powersupply to start it without the case switch. Search online for a guide...it isn't hard.

If it fails to past POST (IE. it doesn't emit a series of beeps) then the problem is likely with your motherboard, not the PSU.
Yes.  Always diagnose the problem before you pay for a fix.

Add me on msn or something if you need help.

Yeah I was just looking online for ways to test it, incase it wasn't power supply being the problem.

Also, I've never heard beeps come out from my motherboard while starting it up before.
So how will I figure out if it boots up or not?

Yeah I was just looking online for ways to test it, incase it wasn't power supply being the problem.

Also, I've never heard beeps come out from my motherboard while starting it up before.
It will beep once after a while, if it has AwardBIOS.  It's likely a dead motherboard, this is EXACTLY what happened to me.

It will beep once after a while, if it has AwardBIOS.  It's likely a dead motherboard, this is EXACTLY what happened to me.

Not all motherboards have beepers.

If you detach major components like the hard drive it should beep on start up.

Well it obviously doesn't then if it never beeps at all.
After reading up online, it seems that others get beeps, but I don't remember beeps for me.
Maybe I just never noticed it? I'm not sure.
I just know that when I start it up now, all the fans turn on, everything on the inside looks like it's working. I forgot to check GPU fan though.

If you detach major components like the hard drive it should beep on start up.
Ok I'll unplug the hdd and also check gpu fan.

Well it obviously doesn't then if it never beeps at all.
After reading up online, it seems that others get beeps, but I don't remember beeps for me.
Maybe I just never noticed it? I'm not sure.
I just know that when I start it up now, all the fans turn on, everything on the inside looks like it's working. I forgot to check GPU fan though.
Ok I'll unplug the hdd and also check gpu fan.
I bet it will, mine did.  My computer didn't beep either.