Author Topic: HALP: Computer booting up, restarting, and Monitor=no signal  (Read 4272 times)

Plug speakers into back of mobo and turn on and up.
Can't I use headphones?
Yea sure.
Only have video card hooked up to the mobo. Hard drive should stay off. If it powers up but refuses to display something then it would point to the video card. If you got a spare one I would try that one.
But if it refuses to display something no matter what video card, then it would be Mobo fault?
Either that or the slot went bad.
If monitor has a no signal thing on it when it isnt receiving stuff, that would be a plus.
What?
When you turn off your computer without turning off your monitor it would usually show a box of whatever color with the words NO SIGNAL

Also get on steam

Plug speakers into back of mobo and turn on and up.
Can't I use headphones?
Yea sure.
No beeps at all while listening with headphones.
Only have video card hooked up to the mobo. Hard drive should stay off. If it powers up but refuses to display something then it would point to the video card. If you got a spare one I would try that one.
But if it refuses to display something no matter what video card, then it would be Mobo fault?
Either that or the slot went bad.
Aye, well the only other card I can use to test it with is a PCI card. So I guess if it works with pci and not pcie card, then it's slot problem
If monitor has a no signal thing on it when it isnt receiving stuff, that would be a plus.
What?
When you turn off your computer without turning off your monitor it would usually show a box of whatever color with the words NO SIGNAL
I get that "No signal" sign. I said that in the first post if I believe.

Also get on steam
Ok.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:42:30 PM by Jsk2003 »

Wait, your motherboard has no speaker, or the speaker isn't hooked up?

Also, have you tried simply removing the graphics card and booting it up simply with no display. You know, see if it'll boot up without it?

After testing a bit I found out...

I can't see the computer on router as it being connected, so I am assuming it won't even get to that part of booting up.
I can't login.
No sound, no microphone(I can tell by the toggle button not lighting up), no keyboard(no backlight available), and no mouse(the light isn't lit up); they don't enable, so it must not even really be able to boot up, since the keyboard usually flashes on in like 5-10 seconds after starting it up.

It's most likely the motherboard, but how can I test that?

Anyway, I'm off to bed, will do more things in morning.

After testing a bit I found out...

I can't see the computer on router as it being connected, so I am assuming it won't even get to that part of booting up.
I can't login.
No sound, no microphone(I can tell by the toggle button not lighting up), no keyboard(no backlight available), and no mouse(the light isn't lit up); they don't enable, so it must not even really be able to boot up, since the keyboard usually flashes on in like 5-10 seconds after starting it up.

It's most likely the motherboard, but how can I test that?

Anyway, I'm off to bed, will do more things in morning.
Try the graphics card on another computer.  You shouldn't need to install drivers; they can run natively.

As in put the PCI card(the one that's in old computer) into my new computer?
As I have no other motherboards that have PCIE slots.

After putting the PCI-Geforce 6200 in my computer, it did everything exactly like before.

So I would think that it's my motherboard..as both graphics card aren't working.

Any questions?

Its either your processor or your mobo, but just wait for Reactor to come and rain down his wisdom. 

Ok, well then I guess I'll just go read a book or something for the rest of today.

Very strange how hard it is to find something to do without a computer.
I can understand not having internet, but not having a computer really limits my choices on things to do.
Now I'll go find a book.

*does a RW dance to hope he shall come into thee thread* (like rain dances, for native americans)

Ok, well then I guess I'll just go read a book or something for the rest of today.

Very strange how hard it is to find something to do without a computer.
I can understand not having internet, but not having a computer really limits my choices on things to do.
Now I'll go find a book.

*does a RW dance to hope he shall come into thee thread* (like rain dances, for native americans)

I already saw him. You missed him.

Unless you can get your motherboard to sound out the sequence of beeps (and read up on what each beep means for your particular board) then there is no way to be sure if the processor is damaged. That is, unless you have another compatible motherboard available that you know works.

I'd replace the motherboard. It may still be under warranty, if so request an RMA from the manufacturer. If not, I can help you pick out a new replacement board. Give ASUS a call, they should be able to help you troubleshoot before hand. At the very least they can help you figure out what state the motherboard is in.

Did anything happen before it stopped working? Perhaps a power surge? Brown-out? Do you use a UPS or surge protector with your computer? What is plugged into it?

Unless you can get your motherboard to sound out the sequence of beeps (and read up on what each beep means for your particular board) then there is no way to be sure if the processor is damaged. That is, unless you have another compatible motherboard available that you know works.
Nope :(. My computer is the best one in the house, and all other computers are 3-4 year old dells. None have LGA775 or PCIE slots at all.

I'd replace the motherboard. It may still be under warranty, if so request an RMA from the manufacturer. If not, I can help you pick out a new replacement board. Give ASUS a call, they should be able to help you troubleshoot before hand. At the very least they can help you figure out what state the motherboard is in.
I don't know how to check if it's still under warranty, but newegg has a thing where it says I have 1 year of being able to replace the parts(30 days to get refund). How can I go about and doing these things(rma/calling them for help)

Did anything happen before it stopped working? Perhaps a power surge? Brown-out? Do you use a UPS or surge protector with your computer? What is plugged into it?
The only thing I remember was that I overclocked it to 2.8ghz(normally 2.66), and about a day or two ago, it gave me some overclocking error while booting up, I forgot what it exactly said though :(. But I do remember I then changed it to original settings, and started it up. Then the next day(or day after, I forget) it wouldn't boot up. So could be bios problem.

Nope :(. My computer is the best one in the house, and all other computers are 3-4 year old dells. None have LGA775 or PCIE slots at all.

I don't know how to check if it's still under warranty, but newegg has a thing where it says I have 1 year of being able to replace the parts(30 days to get refund). How can I go about and doing these things(rma/calling them for help)

The only thing I remember was that I overclocked it to 2.8ghz(normally 2.66), and about a day or two ago, it gave me some overclocking error while booting up, I forgot what it exactly said though :(. But I do remember I then changed it to original settings, and started it up. Then the next day(or day after, I forget) it wouldn't boot up. So could be bios problem.

overclock might have caused it.

Ok well the three things that I have not tried to replace yet are Processor, motherboard, and power supply.

I'm going to soon replace power supply and see if it works then, if it does work, then I will have found out that power is problem.

However I can't replace processor as I don't have any other lga-775 processors :(

Has been fixed.

So I was about to give up and go to some local computer repair store, but then I was like "lolol let's goto asus and call them up first".
I goto the asus website in search of a phone number, but I did find the support page with all the troubleshooting help.
There was one that said something like "
I clicked it and it told me to reset the CMOS thing by using a jumper on the motherboard.
My motherboard didn't have one, so Dad was like "What now?"
I explained how the CMOS jumper basically is a reset button for bios settings and it suggested I did that.
He replied with "Why can't you just take out the bios battery, it works for remotes on tv and <thigns I forget>?"
I was like "hmm ok"
I found the battery.
I pulled it out.
I started the computer.

And it worked.
Then I put back in the battery, and it still worked.

My dad who doesn't have that much knowledge with computers but knows more of general technology fixed it :O
I lol how I spent all weekend trying to figure it out when all I would have to do is take out battery and put back in.
Oh well, now it works and I have like 10 hours before I have to go to bed for school tomorow.