Author Topic: (Tutorial) How To Port Forward On a Mac  (Read 60628 times)

dont you even know what your talking about
Don't quote large posts.

I get to the part where it says i have to click on port mapping, but its not there! all of the other ones are there, though. what should i do?

Whoa, This got sticky'd?! Awesome, alright guys, I'm back on the forums, Im going to try and answer some of the problems you guys are having. so excuse me if I double or even triple post.

For some people who's computer is the main internet host (The Admin on the router) might have a different set-up because they are the admin. The changes in what I have found out are not much different then the one I have posted (You don't have to go through the configure other process).

For those encountering the error saying that their device is not in range/plugged in, You have to do this while you are on your internet with it running and not having major lag producers on (Like X-box live on and such) If that does not work, then I will try and see if I can recreate the error to figure out what is wrong

The WPA (Wi-Fi Protect Access) is the password you use to access your internet from the computer, like if you brought a new computer in the house and tried to connect to the internet (and you have Wi-fi security turned on) it would ask you for this password to gain access to the internet.

Sorry if that is really complex, but its just the password that allows you to get on the internet.

PS. This process is exactly the same on Snow Leopard

Yes but how do you get that password?

I'm relatively new to mac. Anyone know where to find the airport utility?

To find the WPA Password you would open Airport Utility and go to the main tab titled "AirPort" and then to the smaller tab labeled "Wireless" and down at the bottom should be 2 boxes called "Wireless Password" and "Verify Password." Just change the Password already in place to one you can remember and there you go, WPA Password.

To get to Airport Utility you go to the search bar (The magnifying glass in the upper righthand corner) and just type in its name, but if you wish to find it manually, it is located in Applications in the folder "Utilities"

Thank you, but when I try to open it, it says "You can not open the application "Airport Utility" because it is not supported on this architecture."  What should I do?

Thank you, but when I try to open it, it says "You can not open the application "Airport Utility" because it is not supported on this architecture."  What should I do?

I'm guessing that you are not using a device that cooperates with mac, like you might have a too old version of Airport Utility and needs to be updated or the airport you are using was not made by mac it self. If you have a none mac router you should check the manual or use google to look up how to port forward for that specific router.

Thanks for the help. I updated Airport Utility to the newest version, and now I can open it. However, when it scans for networks, it comes up with nothing. It says, "AirPort Utility was unable to find any Apple wireless devises. Make sure the Apple wireless devise you want to set up is plugged in and in range of your computer, and then try again." I hit "Rescan" and it still comes up with nothing. What should I do now?   (and thanks again for all the help. All this stuff is confusing for me.)

Thanks for the help. I updated Airport Utility to the newest version, and now I can open it. However, when it scans for networks, it comes up with nothing. It says, "AirPort Utility was unable to find any Apple wireless devises. Make sure the Apple wireless devise you want to set up is plugged in and in range of your computer, and then try again." I hit "Rescan" and it still comes up with nothing. What should I do now?   (and thanks again for all the help. All this stuff is confusing for me.)
Are you sure you are using an AirPort utility router? Not all macs have to use AirPort routers... which is where this guide is confusing as this is basically just a guide for one set of routers... Not macs in general. If you do not have an airport router, go to www.portforward.com and then find your router and click it, then click Blockland. Follow the steps then - WIN :D

If your computer can't find it then you might be hard wired and not using a wireless internet. But I think you might be able to do "Configure Other" by hitting "Shift", The "Apple" Key, and the letter "O" and entering the numbers 10.0.1.1 for the Address and your WPA Password for the Password. If that does not work then try VPN settings.

I tried portforward.com, but I got stuck at the IP Address part. Are you sure this site is for Mac? It looks like it only will work for PC...

And sorry, but what is the VPN settings? (Sorry for my lack of mac knowledge. Again, I'm new to mac.)