Basically, I've been working on remaking Minecraft in Blockland. Never played Minecraft before? When you get a chance, check it out at http://www.minecraft.net
. Although, here's a quick overview: You maneuver around a pre-generated terrain and can both create and destroy cubes of different materials. These cubes can range from simple dirt and stone cubes to the more elaborate sponge cube. There are also a few non-placeable blocks, such as flowing water, flowing lava, and unbreakable stone blocks (yet Admins can plant the latter). There's a topic by Dropshock over in the Games forum if you want to see some screenshots; a bunch of forumers have posted some there.
Yet, this isn't about that game. This is about porting it to Blockland. Why am I doing this? Well, mainly to give me something to do, but there are quite a few features Blockland has that Minecraft doesn't, and which I may implement at some point. The most notable feature is a trust system, which Minecraft lacks. Anyways, I've spent an hour or two working on it so far, and have gotten quite a lot done. Even though I probably won't release this mod, a lot of users have been curious about my progress, which is why I've made this topic.
If my server is up, feel free to swing by and play around with all the features I've added so far. It is currently in a playable state, and many people have played for hours on it, but I am still working on it constantly. This means that I may close the server at any time, so take screenshots or save the bricks if you make something awesome. I also might kick or even ban you if you display even the slightest case of dumbassery: Just don't grief and everyone will be fine. Hope to see you there!
Please note that I don't keep an official changelog; I just put down a few of the features I remember adding in chronological order. There could be a few features I left out, or a few features I put down in the wrong order, so please tell me if you find a mistake. If you see my server's name is one version ahead of the changelog: No, that isn't a typo. It's the version number I'm developing at the time.
- Dirt blocks are now placeable.
- Unbreakable stone blocks added.
- Forced Minecraft-esque avatars.
- Water blocks added (non-placeable).
- The water expands NESW and down.
- Actually creates swimmable water.
- Support added for other materials.
- Grass, gravel, stone, and sand added.
- Spawn locations are now settable.
- Glass blocks added (just trans white).
- A couple cosmetic features added in.
- Any bugs in previous versions 100% fixed.
- Sand blocks given property of gravity.
- Sponge blocks added, are placeable.
- Water can't go within 2-cubes of sponge.
- Block types given uiNames in cart.
- Admins can now place solid / water blocks.
- Lava blocks added. (See details below.)
- Click: Perform your mode's action, either build a block or destroy a block.
- Right-Click (Jet): Switches between build mode and destruction mode.
- Use Slot (1-7): Switch to that material type; color of your block will change.
- Light: Set your spawn's location. Whenever you respawn, you'll appear here.
- Suicide: Go to your spawn's location. You won't die, you'll just warp right there.
| ||Basic dirt block. No special effects. This is placed in slot one.|
| ||Basic grass block. No special effects. This is placed in slot two.|
| ||Basic stone block. No special effects. This is placed in slot three.|
| ||Basic gravel block. No special effects. This is placed in slot four.|
| ||A sand block that falls down due to gravity. This is placed in slot five.|
| ||Basic glass block. No special effects. This is placed in slot six.|
| ||Water can't go within 2-cubes of sponge. This is placed in slot seven.|
| ||Unbreakable stone block, used mainly to contain water. Not placeable.|
| ||Water flows NESW and down. Bricks can be placed inside. Not placeable.|
| ||Lava flows 2x slow as water, and forms stone when hits water. Not placeable.|