Author Topic: Morrowind, WHY?  (Read 2377 times)

Seriously, my computer is getting on my nerves. I've been attempting to play Morrowind for the past day now, but so help me god if it doesn't implode whenever I try to do anything with it.

Recently, I uninstalled it, and then decided I wanted to play it so I reinstalled it. Now, whenever I save it saves to the virtual store, and whenever I load it loads from the actual folder Morrowind is in. So I had to search for appdata and make a shortcut to there, and now every time I quit I need to make copies of my saves. Also I can't overwrite saves so I need to make a new save game every time I want to save.

Furthermore, I can't download anything directly to the folder. Every time I do it downloads to the virtual store and becomes invisible. So I had to make a separate folder in the D drive, save things to there and move the files from there into the folder.

Up until now things have been manageable. But this, THIS, THIS IS A TRAVESTY. THIS NEW OCCURRENCE IS HORRIBLE. I got pissed because as I was selling stuff to the Creeper, he didn't have enough things I could buy. So I went onto the construction set so I could hack it up a little and make it so he had unlimited gold. However, once I was finished I tried to save and it said something to the extent of "you cant save, would you like to continue running the executable?"

Well, luckily, I had a friend who also has Morrowind so I told him to help me. He made the file, uploaded it, and I tried to download it. Well, it didn't work. So I figured I'd download it to another folder to see if I could move it to the folder. I tried moving it there, it didn't work. I figured I'd try copy and pasting the file there, and it didn't work. At last, after several attempts, I thought of compressing the file and extracting it into the folder. That worked just fine. But honestly, this means that the only way for me to be able to make mods is for me to guide my friend through the process and then have him save it, upload it, then have me download it to a different folder, compress it, and then extract it. And seriously, I am sick of Morrowind's stuff. And so, to conclude this ridiculously long post, does anyone know how to fix this?

TL;DR: Morrowind decided to be broken, someone help me fix it.

(Also I didn't know if this should go in games or off topic, it really isn't about the game, more about how broken it is on my computer.)

EDIT: Even worse my friend edited the game wrong and the creeper has 0 gold now.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 08:35:45 PM by Mateo »

IF vista run as administrator.

take it out of program files

IF vista run as administrator.

I don't know how to "run" moving/downloading/saving files as an administrator. :I

I don't know how to "run" moving/downloading/saving files as an administrator. :I
Right click shortcut of morrowind

Click Compatibility tab

Click Run as Administrator. Also run in Windows XP if you need too.

Right click shortcut of morrowind

Click Properties

Click Compatibility tab

Click Run as Administrator. Also run in Windows XP if you need too.

Fixed.

Morrowind runs fine, it's just modifying any part of it whatsoever that is broken. (That includes saves.)

Morrowind runs fine, it's just modifying any part of it whatsoever that is broken. (That includes saves.)
Exactly, run as administrator gives it the right to modify files in the Program Files directory. Vista has this really stupid idea of not letting programs modify/create files in the program files directory. It's just stupid like that, so it gets stored in a virtual store in appdata and stuff. With run as admin it'll be able to modify/write into its directory where ever the save is, hopefully.

Exactly, run as administrator gives it the right to modify files in the Program Files directory. Vista has this really stupid idea of not letting programs modify/create files in the program files directory. It's just stupid like that, so it gets stored in a virtual store in appdata and stuff. With run as admin it'll be able to modify/write into its directory where ever the save is, hopefully.

Was just about to say that