Author Topic: I'm never going to call someone a Badmin again...  (Read 2495 times)

With my newfound ability to make servers, I've been making my city build server almost everyday. It's exciting, it's fun, I'm enjoying building with other people, but NEVER AGAIN will I call someone a Badmin. I really had no idea just how hard it is to be a "good" host. >_>; Constantly, people join my servers and want to build things COMPLETELY unrelated to the server, build spam, and ignore all the carefully laid out instructions I've given them on how to use the server. While I do get a good amount of people perfectly willing to read the instructions and build as they're told, the ones who don't follow the rules stand out in my mind so much more... ._.'

-What is a "good" host to you?
-Do you enjoy being the host of a server?
-If you're one of the people who has just started making servers thanks to V14, what do you think of the power you have?

The rules with me is follow them or after a few warnings kick/ban.

Get server rules and ban/kick them if they do something wrong.

No it doesn't.  This is a topic about how it is actually work to run a server, and asking for any suggestions on how to do so.

Shove a nice 60 minute ban hammer where the sun don't shine and that'll show 'em.  :cookieMonster:

A good host is someone who is able to let their server achieve what it was intended to do. Bans are a nice way to help that.

i ban people for not building as well.
just starfishs hopping about not doing anything for half an hour piss me off,

To me, a good host is someone who can script his/her server to the point where it moderates itself so the host doesn't need waste his or her time doing what should be the job of a script.

Bots don't hold gruges, bots don't pick favorites, bots are fair, bots are the ideal admins.

dread can't help it when his ban finger gets itchy :c

I range from holding hands of new players for an hour to banning for talking to me.

I'm all about those moods.

i ban people for not building as well.
just starfishs hopping about not doing anything for half an hour piss me off,
This.

Also, I ban for people who go AFK where people are building. It's really annoying when you're trying to build a minicity and some starfish goes AFK inside your tower.

Every ban is a permaban. :D

If people are building unrelated things, so what? If it's not in the way it's totally harmless. Unlike v0002, bricks are not laggy. You might find people making good things that you can use if they're interested in the theme or have ideas.
I find it helpful to enforce building on baseplates for clearing any leftover item/vehicle spawns. Be relaxed and allow them to test what you have enabled - wait until they're done or remove stuff when they leave the server. I use a personal edit of Terrain Build Rules so that people can only build on a baseplate but allowed to be any size/any place, but Badspot's built in Script_ClearSpam works fine.
If you have the Default Minigames mod installed and have it enabled at all times even when you aren't actively running a minigame, you are doing it wrong.

Run your server as a community place rather than a fortress to block all spam and anything not under your complete control. It usually makes the server not fun to stay on if you're totally enforcing "nobody can build without permission, nobody can make minigames without permission, I'll ban you if you hover around me even though it's the only active interesting thing in the server"

The rules with me is follow them or after a few warnings kick/ban.

My bans are instant, but for one hour. If you get warned, you will be banned perma if you do again.