Author Topic: [~WIP~] Beach Dead [D-Day TDM]  (Read 3616 times)

I recommend you keep on doing what you're doing with the cliff faces; I mean that, the beach section of D-Day is usually drawn out and is boring; the cliffs should then be focused on instead.

Increasing the width would not hurt, provided you break up the beach ( I suggest a cliff reaching out into the beach to separate it into sides or whatever)

Cover should be there, just some sandbags (the sandbags are well done, though, so just some) should be replaced with extensions of the bunkers: extra rooms, concrete walls, et cetera.

The standard D-Day traps are basically
1) prop spam. Usually, a flat and otherwise plain surface is laid down, and a bunch of crates, boat traps (which are iconic of D-day because of the low tide whatever) and sandbags are put everywhere. The props define the map instead of the terrain and buildings defining the map. Bad.
2) focus on a death run over the beach. May be more realistic but it's boring.
3) lack of objective. Usually combined with 2).

Functionality > detail, the problem with prop spam maps is that, while props are extremely detailed, they lack functionality. Terrain, cliffs, structures. Functional.

Proportions are also important; the areas that are more interesting (hint: not the beach) should be emphasized. Personally, I suggest that the defense is given a far back spawn, but setup time at the beginning so the first few minutes involves the beach (as the defense has had time to get into position), but the gameplay moves backwards towards the defense spawn area (as the original defenses die and cant be replaced quickly enough) to provide a change of pace that feels natural and is purposeful (siege points?).

Overall: standing on a beach wedged between a crate and a grey X is only interesting for a little bit. Let the offense progress into more interesting areas, while maintaining (respectfully) the iconic beach.
I'm going to keep my cliff design, mostly because it looks awesome and is easy to make, as you said.

How do you propose I break up the beach? I've got an idea but it looks odd in my head.

The sandbags were made by my friend, he's awesome at making props, also I'm going to completely redo the bunkers, I didn't like them anyway.

I find that the death run towards the beach is fun, but I guess it's only fun for the more experienced players who would die less often. I've already planned out that there will be a fun and innovative objective, get to the high ground, take over a siege point and then the spawn would move forward deeper inland and the attackers would then have to fight the defenders in a different landscape. (New challenges)

I'm also going to try and add in many more structures, not that many but a fair amount.

There's already a prep time for the defenders, as the mini-game starts a count down appears telling everyone in the mini-game that the 'Landers are opening in 10 seconds...', I WILL move the defender's spawn points back a bit because they spawn right at the bunker and I notice myself waiting for them to open, not trying to hurry up before they open.

I'll try and decrease the difficulty of being in the attackers team, maybe moving back the spawns of the enemy will help this substantially.

Breaking up the beach:

I would increase the size of the beach in both dimensions, then make a bunker that is sunk into the sand that cuts it in half, then add in jutting out cliff faces around the edges of the map. The bunker would divide the beach into halves, and the cliffs would  then divide those halves into quarters.

Beach (1 section):
Bunker (2):
Cliff (6):

Each number represents a different area; areas are cut off from eachother horizontally but not vertically.
1, 6, 3 and 2 are only partially horizontally cut off.

It should mostly be a run from the ends into the center area, I think, where the defense may overlook the attackers. Longer ways around at the ends provide more cover.

I still find a few problems with yours, but I'm not going to bump your topic.
-The Carrier boat is too rectangular - -not mine
-The Swastika is pretty poorly made - makes it easier to destroy  :cookieMonster:
-Beach was too square Brickcount
-Dirt leading up to bunker is too orthodox I have no excuse

To branch off the two other long comments...

Most D-Day builds seem to have very short beaches, which doesn't reflect the real-life scenario. What happened in the actual D-Day was a long storm up a beach, with the invaders fired upon bunkers higher up in the distance. The crosses mainly populated only the front part, and the rest of the beach was empty, except for scattered vehicles and so forth. The invasion started in a cove, so you might want to make the beach curved slightly, if you do make it wider.
Hidden sand bunkers populated the area past the beach, so you may want to create some places for machine gunners to shoot from under the inland part of the beach. The hole size should be large enough for people to crawl into, as that could happen in real life, but some others were smaller.

At the bottom is a really bad paint drawing that should illustrate the general design of the place.

As you can tell, you only have those X's near the front, as they were made to scathe ships as they tried to land. Luckily for the Allies, that day had a low tide.

The yellow sections represent places where underground bunkers should be around. Note that the green section should be slightly raised from the level of the beach: It was like that on that day.

The farther back reddish-brown blobs represent higher places, and the gray blobs represent "bunkers" jutting out from the cliff face. Spawn points should be farther back from the beach, maybe between the two raised land sections.

The light green sections are just there as a suggestion of either light hills or craters, as the Allied ships fired shells at the beach for a few days before invading.

Hope this helps.

Breaking up the beach:

I would increase the size of the beach in both dimensions, then make a bunker that is sunk into the sand that cuts it in half, then add in jutting out cliff faces around the edges of the map. The bunker would divide the beach into halves, and the cliffs would  then divide those halves into quarters.

-Table Snip-

Each number represents a different area; areas are cut off from eachother horizontally but not vertically.
1, 6, 3 and 2 are only partially horizontally cut off.

It should mostly be a run from the ends into the center area, I think, where the defense may overlook the attackers. Longer ways around at the ends provide more cover.
Errr, I don't understand the diagrams, though it seems like you spent a good amount of time working on them.

To branch off the two other long comments...

Most D-Day builds seem to have very short beaches, which doesn't reflect the real-life scenario. What happened in the actual D-Day was a long storm up a beach, with the invaders fired upon bunkers higher up in the distance. The crosses mainly populated only the front part, and the rest of the beach was empty, except for scattered vehicles and so forth. The invasion started in a cove, so you might want to make the beach curved slightly, if you do make it wider.
Hidden sand bunkers populated the area past the beach, so you may want to create some places for machine gunners to shoot from under the inland part of the beach. The hole size should be large enough for people to crawl into, as that could happen in real life, but some others were smaller.

At the bottom is a really bad paint drawing that should illustrate the general design of the place.

As you can tell, you only have those X's near the front, as they were made to scathe ships as they tried to land. Luckily for the Allies, that day had a low tide.

The yellow sections represent places where underground bunkers should be around. Note that the green section should be slightly raised from the level of the beach: It was like that on that day.

The farther back reddish-brown blobs represent higher places, and the gray blobs represent "bunkers" jutting out from the cliff face. Spawn points should be farther back from the beach, maybe between the two raised land sections.

The light green sections are just there as a suggestion of either light hills or craters, as the Allied ships fired shells at the beach for a few days before invading.

Hope this helps.
Haha, you seem to be saying somewhat the opposite of Rkynick with the beach thing, he tells me to concentrate more on the non-beach stuff while you're telling me to concentrate the most on the beach, :/

I'm going to concentrate mostly on the bunkers atm, since I removed them so I can make new. I was also thinking I could use onPlayerEnterZone and LeaveZone for the bunker, giving the players that enter an LMG and when they leave it gets removed from their inventory. Or I could use the HMG by Jaydee instead, limiting the amount of gunners and maybe even making it harder for the attackers since it's more accurate and stuff.

My gist is to make it a bay, and there would be more cover at the edges, but it would be a longer route up.

Thanks for all this sound advice! I was thinking about making a D-Day death match. Hopefully this will help. Good luck with yours HellsHero.

My gist is to make it a bay, and there would be more cover at the edges, but it would be a longer route up.
The point I was getting at.

dont post a WIP on the gallery if its still a WIP.

dont post a WIP on the gallery if its still a WIP.
You're stupid, you know?

The point I was getting at.
I disagree.

Thanks for all this sound advice! I was thinking about making a D-Day death match. Hopefully this will help. Good luck with yours HellsHero.
Why is your font smaller.

What does it matter?
That one little thing that means nearly nothing always ruins the day, doesn't it?

That one little thing that means nearly nothing always ruins the day, doesn't it?
QOML

What does it matter?
That is irrelevant. I want an answer.