Author Topic: The Ultimate Blockland RP - A Theoretical Discussion  (Read 32185 times)

not grinding 1x1 "rocks"  and tree bricks for stats and money. thats for sure.

just because current rpg mod makers refer to mmo's for inspiration, dont mean the aspect of role playing cant be unique and actually fun for blockland.
this is a topic that i could debate all day in its own topic. with craploads of ideas and examples.
not really something im going to get into here.
besides, its my little dream about blockland, im not involved with anyone's projects.

This was the post which made me think. Many of us enjoy role-playing on Blockland, after all if we build up something, why should the fun stop there? Unfortunately, those easy pretend role-playing games are bound to get tired after a while, or even worse, get out of control.

This could have been the incentive of many people who created RP mods or just harnessed the power of events or VCE, resolving the "feeling of pointlessness". But there are still problems.

Before moving on, it would be the best to list what I found problematic and you should also post your comments, suggestions and theories.

One of the main problems is that they rarely encourage playing roles. They join as Bob Whatever, and they act like Bob Whatever, even if it is completely out of tune with the setting of the game. And this is the better, because other times the game completely breaks down and becomes a free-for-all deathmatch.
This is the part when you end up seeing father murdering a policeman with a M4A1, because he mistook him for a postman -it's hard to tell difference when they take their hats off- only to be murdered by a toddler with a rocket launcher, who should not be able to move anyway.

Many worked hard on resolving the issue with aimlessness, however, it is still far from being perfect. What really grinds many people's gears is the grinding.
Player: So I need to chop down one more tree by clicking to get a spoon to dig the earth for metal to make a puny butter knife so I can finally go and kill the evil boss in the quest who is probably a dumb bot. Wait, with a butter knife?
Mainly the 'evented' RPG-s are guilty of this. On the other hand, CityRP based games might lack of any grinding, but they surely get boring and pointless since the 'rewarding system' is broken to the core. It is indifferent whether you engage in any activity or not, your business has customers or is empty, you always get your reward (money in this case). Which makes encourages slacking or, if weapons are involved, mindless killing.
Player1: Idiot, stop killing!
Criminal: nou im criminal i do whatever i wnat
Player2: police! help!
Police: AFK

There are many more defects, I realise. This is just an introduction.

Instead we should focus on how to overcome the problems finally. Perhaps it is time to list what we know about the game and start thinking about that.
  • It's a building game thus there are rules and limitations of what is possible and what is not
  • There is a mini-game system
  • There is a powerful add-ons system
  • Vehicles are supported

I know the list is incomplete and may list things which might not be as relevant, but after all this is a discussion, feel free to list your ideas, because the more we know about the nature of the game, the more likely we can think of a game mechanism which suits the players and Blockland right.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:38:04 AM by Barnabas »

For one, have Education require you to actually go to a school.
You would get credit toward your education as long as you stay in the lot the school is on.

It's not what I was thinking of. It still goes along the scheme of "levelling up". The RP system should be unique to Blockland. Something which really fits the game and the players alike.

It's not what I was thinking of. It still goes along the scheme of "levelling up". The RP system should be unique to Blockland. Something which really fits the game and the players alike.
Skills without leveling? Like a skill tree?

What kind of roleplay are you thinking of?

What kind of roleplay are you thinking of?
This is the question I wind up asking myself as well. I don't really know. Something new, something that really fits Blockland.

The problem is that no RPG properly addresses and utilises the fact that this is a building game.

I mean sure, we've had "get money to buy land, then build a house" but that's so open-ended that there's no possible objective there. For me, a good RPG for Blockland would be something that really makes building a functional part of the gameplay without requiring you to be a "good" builder (I'm talking architectural styles etc).

For example, there could be an "Engineer" job where you have to construct something for a specific purpose. Perhaps there's a river and your "job" is to get a vehicle across it safely. Sure it's an easy task, but it's just an example.

The idea may be more fitting in some sort of singleplayer campaign mode, but I'm sure someone can figure out a way to apply this in a multiplayer setting.

Blockland Main Adventure mode.

Blockland Main Adventure mode.
Stop with this ALREADY!

Ephi's right, and I hadn't realised it before. RPs need to have building in them. Medieval RP, Egyptian RP or w/e don't really include free building. City RPs are too open ended and get boring.
Building randomly: No
Building to achieve a goal: Yes

This topic makes me think of Nitramj's space station rp;  I think it was the most fun I ever had on a blockland server.

It basically works like this: There is a base on the ground where people can muck about or build modules.  Modules have a certain size limit (because modules in real life are limited in their size by what a spaceshuttle can hold.) and have a certain type of connection to work with other modules.  Nit had modded the flying jeep so when you held down the spacebar it would be boosted forward at high speeds, and also bottom print the current location to the driver.  The driver (nit mostly, but I drove some too) would have to navigate up to the coordinates of the spacestation, which was really really high up.  Once you got up there there was a nograv zone and you had to jet to go up, and Nit made a script so if you crouched, you'd go down.  You'd be able to explore the space station that has been slowly built up by other players, and would have to wait for the shuttle to be returning back to earth.  To move modules up Nit would use the manipulator (Nit's version the the duplicator) moving a module one at a time.

All in all it was loads of fun, and it was cool watching the space station slowly grow bigger and bigger.

For example, there could be an "Engineer" job where you have to construct something for a specific purpose. Perhaps there's a river and your "job" is to get a vehicle across it safely. Sure it's an easy task, but it's just an example.

This reminds me of one of the classes in Rky's Blockrace TDM. It would be able to choose from a small selection of bricks and build a certain number of them, depending on their size. These bricks could be destroyed by the enemy team shooting at them a number of times, but would help your team accomplish goals easier, such as being able to go across a hole that you would normally have to find a path around.

As an RPG element, that would probably be very successful.

I would like to build better RPs, but it seems that people with their "custom epic add-ons" seem to get more people. I lack any knowledge of scripting.

Looks like many valid points were raised.

Since building is the core of the game itself, it should be the core of the unique RP too. But what else could be done? And how?

Mr. Wallet's "Rise of Blockland" remains the best game-mode I've ever seen in BL. It was focused around building, and was constrained by a simplified economy. Structures had purpose (to sell the resources necessary to play the game). Even in its simplest form, the game-mode earned itself a hearty core of dedicated players, but I think the idea could be developed further.  Starting with More interesting surroundings, more ways of using the resources you have earned, and methods to encourage better buildings, would all make the game-mode more interesting.