Author Topic: The Ultimate Blockland RP - A Theoretical Discussion  (Read 32217 times)

Multiserver RPs. Each server could be a different area (Different terrains for a Medieval RP, different cities for a City RP, different planets for a Space RP). Possibly events or bricks that a player would wrench to tell it which server to connect and which password to input if there is a password. Then when a player touches it or activates it, it disconnects them with the current server, connects them to the next server and spawns them at the appropriate spawn.

Multiserver RPs. Each server could be a different area (Different terrains for a Medieval RP, different cities for a City RP, different planets for a Space RP). Possibly events or bricks that a player would wrench to tell it which server to connect and which password to input if there is a password. Then when a player touches it or activates it, it disconnects them with the current server, connects them to the next server and spawns them at the appropriate spawn.
I've considered this before as a measure to control brickcount, but its extremely inconvenient for players and hosts, and would most likely cause many unforeseeable issues.

I've considered this before as a measure to control brickcount, but its extremely inconvenient for players and hosts, and would most likely cause many unforeseeable issues.

All it would be doing would be disconnecting it from the server, then connecting it to another one without using GUIs.

Wouldn't you have to have an internet database for the players levels and such then? How could all of the servers access the same data and rewrite it at once?

Also, the same person logs on on two different servers, with the same database. What happens?

Wouldn't you have to have an internet database for the players levels and such then? How could all of the servers access the same data and rewrite it at once?

Also, the same person logs on on two different servers, with the same database. What happens?

1. Each ID that enters gets it's own database. Then they only need to access them when a player changes.

2. It would auto kick the person who joins last.

Basically, the system would work like this.

There are 5 servers. 4 out of the 5 have passwords so random players can't join them. ID 20399 joins the one without the password. The server then creates a database for 20399. If the player levels up, then the server will access the database for that ID and update it. If the player changes to one of the other servers, the database updates the database to say that he is in this other server. Then that server is in charge of managing the database. If the player disconnects at any time, the database updates the player's latest stats, what server the player is in, and the position of that player. That way, when the player connects to the server without the password, it looks in the database to check what server it was in. If the player was in a different server, than the one without the password, it auto-reconnects to that server. Then the player spawns in the same position and with the same stats and inv.

People are like sheep. If you're herding them all over the place they get pissed off, but if you bring them to one field and let them graze, they're happy.

Also, programmers are similarly satisfied; if someone needs to script a database that handles all of this I/O and is given conditions to receive I/O from other places under certain circumstances, then they would rather re-design the system to be more efficient and robust.  I.e. using only one server.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 03:44:36 PM by Niliscro »

Good news everybody!  I've successfully completed the smelting system based on guitar hero!

Woot!

Video of playtest?

I could probably download fraps and capture one, but I'm too lazy to make the effort.  Just visit the server when it's up, but no touchy.  Just the smelting forge.

So I've restarted my RP buildwise, since I'm waiting on Truce to tell me what he's modding for it and all of that (He hasn't been on very much).
Currently, I'm working on builds to dupe in, but I want to make enough so the same building isn't used more than twice.  So feel free to join and build a bit if you want, but no touching events unless I say so.  You can also just join if you want to try out the smelting and the loom.  Password is still assowr.

This was not an excuse to bump.  Or recruit builders.