The Ultimate Blockland RP - A Theoretical Discussion

Author Topic: The Ultimate Blockland RP - A Theoretical Discussion  (Read 32240 times)

-Snip-

Here's what I got fer ya:

- You must acquire bricks to place them.
- To do this, you use the Plying Wrench on preexisting bricks. After a few hits, you pick up the brick and it's added to your inventory.
- Hits needed is dependent on how large the brick is.
- You can only hold a certain number of each brick type. This is also determined by size.
- You can only hold a certain number of bricks total. This is an RTB Pref setting.
- Bricks may be attacked by projectiles to be damaged and destroyed.

Hence the majority of your idea is now possible. I need more details though.

- To do this, you use the Plying Wrench on preexisting bricks. After a few hits, you pick up the brick and it's added to your inventory.
You should be able to craft bricks too. Recycling bricks keeps the count low, but you can't build everything with the same bricks.

Then like, you can üpgrade your wrench to get more bricks and use less hits and waste less bricks

@originalpost:
Now that you mention it, every RP i go to dies down within a maximum of a week, mostly.
The longest-surviving RP i've seen is the Medeival RP, started a couple weeks ago and currently on pause due to host (Sawses) being gone.
Although, most people i RP with have excellent ideas (problems with godmod though) which can keep it alive.

What we really need is some better rules, and IDEAS. Lots, and lots, of IDEAS.
An RP is nothing without a bunch of different events.
(That, and some good RPers.)

I hate RPGs where players are limited to how much they can build, yes I may be considered lazy because I can't be bothered to get off my arse and earn resorsces. Blockland the game that you build stuff not Blockland the game in which you rape your mouse in order to build a little stuff.

I hate RPGs where players are limited to how much they can build, yes I may be considered lazy because I can't be bothered to get off my arse and earn resorsces. Blockland the game that you build stuff not Blockland the game in which you rape your mouse in order to build a little stuff.

You don't have to play in RP's if all you want to do is build.

-snip-

I need a few more details. Is heat an issue? How does it function? Are there any needs? How does crafting work?
Tell me what you want and I'll see if i can make something. (see above post, I've already got some of it down)

I need a few more details. Is heat an issue? How does it function? Are there any needs? How does crafting work?
Tell me what you want and I'll see if i can make something. (see above post, I've already got some of it down)

Heat is an issue, yes. Things that could provide heat would be heat emitter bricks, that could be planted inside designated fireplaces, or use them as a heating unit in a room. (basically an 1x1 brick, or an 1x1 flat for more versatility).

Needs should be simple. Heat and food probably. You could gather food by hunting or create a greenhouse for plants.
What I'm really looking for with these is to have less of a click-o-rama that distracts players from roleplaying, and some GUIs would be nice, instead of huge amount of /commands.

Character development should be based on Wedge's post

I'm not sure about the method of the crafting system, I haven't really thought of that.

Here are some suggestions:
  • Make preset buildings so there aren't 50 thousand half built houses.
  • Make a local chat, and an out-of-character chat so you have a more realistic time "talking".
  • Add GUIs that match each other, so you don't have a cluster of randomness.  It looks pertier.
  • Set a base for the way players look, so you don't have Sonic going to the grocery store run by Spaceman Bob.
You can totally ignore everything I said, but I think it's useful.  If only I completely knew Torque.

In planning for my RP, I made a quick minigame for making cloth.  Basically, it's a loom, with 4 bars that would separate the cloth (I really dumbed it down, but you get the point of it).  The bars glow randomly for 500ms, and you click it to get one loomgame (hidden variable).  When you're done, you click the white cloth in the basket and get loomgame/2 cloth. 

Basically, it makes cloth fabrication more fun than clicking a button when you have x wool/cotton and getting cloth.  Currently, I plan on making it so you don't need to bring wool or cotton or something to the loom in order to weave, but you'll have to pay for each time around.  So you'll want to be good at it to get more for your money.

Feedback on this system?

In planning for my RP, I made a quick minigame for making cloth.  Basically, it's a loom, with 4 bars that would separate the cloth (I really dumbed it down, but you get the point of it).  The bars glow randomly for 500ms, and you click it to get one loomgame (hidden variable).  When you're done, you click the white cloth in the basket and get loomgame/2 cloth. 

Basically, it makes cloth fabrication more fun than clicking a button when you have x wool/cotton and getting cloth.  Currently, I plan on making it so you don't need to bring wool or cotton or something to the loom in order to weave, but you'll have to pay for each time around.  So you'll want to be good at it to get more for your money.

Feedback on this system?

It sounds wonderful, very inventive. I just wish that we could do something like this with more things.

It sounds wonderful, very inventive. I just wish that we could do something like this with more things.
Thanks.  The only problem is keeping the systems unique, though.

I hope to make the furnace for smelting iron+coal -> ore and tin+copper -> bronze a guitar-hero like game.  Basically, the iron/copper will fall and the coal/tin will fall, and you have to click the right button at the right time to successfully smelt it.  I'd probably make it cost at least 10 of each material to play, but you have the potential to make more steel/bronze than that.

As far as forging weapons, I'll figure something out.  Maybe I'll make it so you have to click the anvil at the right time for a successful hit, and after three misstrikes you do permanent damage and have to start over with new resources.  However, I'm not 100% sure how I would do this per weapon.  If there's a sword and a spear and a shield, naturally you need to forge for each of those.  But I don't feel like making separate anvils for each weapon, nor do I want to do a million VCE conditions to check for which item the player wants.  Fletching would probably be a minigame where you have to click the shaft and then the feathers in that order as many times as you can in 10 seconds.  Each game would cost x wood and x feathers.  Feathers can be found or bought, unless someone comes out with a bird AI or something that lets them be hunted for, too.

Besides this, I also need to figure out a good resource gathering method.  Since the fabrication methods will all be minigames, I don't want to have typical resource grinding to smother that feature out.  Going on a previous idea, I could make resources non-renewable, and have a ton of different mines and forests.  In mines, you would hit a rock with your pickaxe until it went away, then once you found ore you would keep hitting it until it's done, which would be after x hits.  You would tunnel through the mines until you reached hard, unminable rock.  Eventually all mines would be spent, so a reset button is a must.  Forests, however, can't really be a fun resource collection experience without a script or some serious events.

All of this is a lot of initial eventing and even more complex gameplay integration.  Not to mention I'll need to figure out some type of trading system that works and isn't exploitable.  This is a lot to event, so I'll probably just get some of the minigames done and post them here or something, since I don't feel like doing a full-on RP of this scale.  It also brings up another point:  evented RPs can have great ideas, but scripted ones are likely to be more polished, not to mention easier to make if you have the know-how.

I don't know, I guess we could brainstorm some good ideas for making normally repetitive/drab tasks into fun minigames, since that's basically what I just did.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:03:37 PM by Niliscro »

trading system

An idea I've been sitting on for a while would be a "trading post". It's basically just a post (as in a stick or a sign) sticking out of the ground. There will be many of them (At least 1 in every town, maybe a few on major roads, and a couple next to major player areas) so that players don't just have to go to one area to trade. Each post would look something like this:
[][][]
[]
[]
Player 1 clicks the top left brick. This brings up a gui which allows the player to select which item (by stating what slot it's in) to trade (Player 1's item is removed from it's inventory). Player 2 clicks the top right brick. This does the same thing as player 1. When both players have selected an item, the top center brick turns green. Both players click on it. This brings up a gui that states what's being traded and if it is ok (y/n). If both players select yes, the trade is successful and they swap items. If not, the players are returned their own items. The player can cancel a trade at any point by pressing the center brick and selecting "no".

And yes, I know it's a pun.

Another idea I had is completely scripted. Player 1 types "/trade playername slot# itemrequest". Item request would be what they want in return. It is completely optional and can be left blank. Player 2 then gets a center-print message "Player 1 will trade ______ for ______". Player 2 types "/tradeaccept playername slot#" or "/tradedeny playername". If he accepts the trade, Player 1 gets a message "Player 2 will trade ______. Accept or Deny?". Player 1 types either "/tradeaccept playername" or "/tradedeny playername". If a player wants to block a certain player from attempting to trade, they type "/tradeblock playername".

Maybe some crafting like in minecraft. Not entirely the same, but getting item that make it easier to get your bricks? Making packs that allow you to hold more etc etc.