Author Topic: The Ultimate Blockland RP - A Theoretical Discussion  (Read 32264 times)

--
First idea is ok, and the second idea would be better if it was a local request.  For example, someone cant be at the coast town and trade with someone on the other side of a mountain.

Also, eventing something like this would probably require unnecessary work, compared to if someone scripted a system.  I think the lack of RP mods is a problem in of itself.  Sure, we have RP core and all of that stuff along with it, but those aren't only more city-rp centered, but they don't really let the host make a unique RP.  If someone made a separate trading mod, and someone made a resources mod that wasn't simply grinding, then a host could  implement these along with events to make something more unique.

For example, someone cant be at the coast town and trade with someone on the other side of a mountain.

Actually, that was a major part of my idea, but it slipped my mind when I was posting. :P It could be like the chat radius mods.

Also, I understand the need to keep a mod private
Well actually, I don't, unless it's very server-specific and not perfected yet.  But things like the heat mod would be a good asset to make survival RPs, and yet it hasn't been released yet.

Also, I understand the need to keep a mod private
Well actually, I don't, unless it's very server-specific and not perfected yet.  But things like the heat mod would be a good asset to make survival RPs, and yet it hasn't been released yet.

No one will release it of course, due to the risk of server spam and such.
For Forging weapons, I suggest that some kinda minigame happens in which you must smash the sword with a hammer on an anvil at points in which the sword will slowly turn to grey or whatever color. But you must do it as fast as possible due to it heating up again.

For Forging weapons, I suggest that some kinda minigame happens in which you must smash the sword with a hammer on an anvil at points in which the sword will slowly turn to grey or whatever color. But you must do it as fast as possible due to it heating up again.
Server spam?  You mean 100 people making survival servers?  Look at when TDM first came out, everyone had a TDM going on of some sort.
That would be a pain in the ass to event, and it pretty much has the same idea as the anvil game I thought of.  Probably something I would add later, since it's mostly aesthetics.

Also, I had another idea.  Honestly, not that many big-title RPGs such as TES, etc, have a forging feature, so why not just make things like smelting and forging minigames to earn gold, and then you buy the weapon?  Fable II does something similar.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 09:21:06 AM by Niliscro »

Also, I had another idea.  Honestly, not that many big-title RPGs such as TES, etc, have a forging feature, so why not just make things like smelting and forging minigames to earn gold, and then you buy the weapon?  Fable II does something similar.
How would your towns progress in technology if they could not make weapons to hunt with. It would be pretty ridiculous to have a shop set up before they even become hunters.

No forging removes part of the player interaction. Rather than miners, forgers, and merchants working together, there are no forgers and the other two groups work alone.

How would your towns progress in technology if they could not make weapons to hunt with. It would be pretty ridiculous to have a shop set up before they even become hunters.

No forging removes part of the player interaction. Rather than miners, forgers, and merchants working together, there are no forgers and the other two groups work alone.
The problem is making a unique and efficient way of forging things.  Just pressing a button when you have the required resources won't cut it, and minigames for forging, like the one I was discussing, would work but just put more emphasis on resource grinding when someone fails to forge a weapon and needs to get the resources all over again.

From what I can tell, server spam doesn't happen anymore because 90% of the people hosting are too busy cheating in DMs to check the add-ons board.

I've devised a simple fishing system that isn't complete grinding.  What I did was make a small 16x16 pond.  In this pond, there is a grid of 4x4 plates.  Each plate randomly sets a FXswirl droplet emitter, and enables raycasting and a certain event.  Thus, when a player sees a fish "surface", he must spear it within 250ms.  It's not extremely challenging, but it's more fun than circling the same pond for 6 hours catching fish as they respawn.  I used a modified LEGOKnights spear that must be charged completely.  IT makes an interesting challenge.

Each fish you catch gives you 1 fish, and .1 FishSkill.  Skill isn't used for anything other than a statistic so you can measure what you do most often.  I might make so some ponds are harder and give you higher skill per fish caught, and/or more fish per fish caught.

I have a server up where I'm running some ideas through, the password is asswor if you're interested.

The problem is making a unique and efficient way of forging things.  Just pressing a button when you have the required resources won't cut it, and minigames for forging, like the one I was discussing, would work but just put more emphasis on resource grinding when someone fails to forge a weapon and needs to get the resources all over again.
Why should you lose resources because you suck at forging? The item you built would just suck. All you'd have to do was melt it down and try again.

Why should you lose resources because you suck at forging? The item you built would just suck. All you'd have to do was melt it down and try again.
For playing NiliscroRP you get nothing!

There's always the possibility that you could just pick a category of weapons to forge and then the item you get is based on your skill.  for example, if you pick the sword area and do a stuffty job you'll get a stuffty sword.  However, what if a new player in an easier area does really well and gets the best sword you can get?  Not only does it unbalance things, but now that player doesn't have anything to work towards.

There's always the possibility that you could just pick a category of weapons to forge and then the item you get is based on your skill.  for example, if you pick the sword area and do a stuffty job you'll get a stuffty sword.  However, what if a new player in an easier area does really well and gets the best sword you can get?  Not only does it unbalance things, but now that player doesn't have anything to work towards.
Or, you try and forge a specific weapon, and if you fail, you get a broken X sword. Then you would melt down this broken X sword, and try again.

Or, you try and forge a specific weapon, and if you fail, you get a broken X sword. Then you would melt down this broken X sword, and try again.

But if you could always melt it down, then you would only need to get enough resources to make the sword you want. Then you could just try again and again until you get it right.

Say you needed 3 iron to make a sword. 3 iron wouldn't be hard to get. So you mine 3 iron and make your sword. Now, if everyone does that, the iron mines will be empty after everyone has their iron. Anyone that mined more than that can't sell it because it's so easy to get 3 to make a sword. And anyone trying to sell swords won't be able to because everyone already has a sword. Therefore, there would be no economy and would result in the server turning into a DM because players have no other skills to train or tasks to do or money to make.

I think if you failed to forge a weapon you should only get 50% - 75% of your resources back.  That way you still have to go to the mines and it keeps things active.

Edit/update:
I started to work on smithing today, but about an hour into it and 27+ events later, it turned out to be a total mess. I'll try it again some other day, and probably won't try to base it off of the fishing events this time :p
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:54:47 PM by Niliscro »