Author Topic: On account of people complaining about Spore's representation of evolution  (Read 886 times)

I used to be one of these people... but honestly, Spore is obviously not representing the mechanics of evolution literally.
The reasons for the lack of natural selection and other massively important mechanics to evolution are that it is nearly impossible to create a game from that... And it would take away one of the original main concepts of the game; that being user created content: such as the creature creator.
I am somewhat a very rationally driven person, completely aghast at the ideas those following religions make in fruitless attempts to connect their incompatible beliefs to reality.
As much as I'd like to see a game that realistically presented a procedurally created biosphere of creatures that develop based on their environments, that wouldn't be Spore. Spore is not only the above idea, albeit dimmed down, but a means of incorporating as much user-generated content as possible.
I once saw someone say that the more creative you are, the more you can enjoy Spore.

Alright, an explanation for Spore's metaphor for evolution: it is not literally depicting the mechanics of evolution, but rather making several metaphors that should make sense to those who already understand its mechanics.
The creature creator is a core concept for Spore, and with a certain level of realism would be impossible. It does pertain to certain evolutionary processes however... As a player is confronted with an impassable situation; such as having not enough abilities to befriend or wipe out another species, the player generally has the creature mate and edit the next generation; which in reality has random mutation as a consequence, but really, is that any fun?
Also, when looking back at one's 'history', more often that not it really appears that the creature underwent procedural, gradual changes over time in response to environment. I may be missing many, many other points, but whatever.

tl;dr, people shouldn't take Spore's representation of evolution seriously and really notice all the revolutionary technology -yes, many of the mechanics of Spore have never been dealt with before- laid out in Spore and just try to enjoy it- it's just a game.

I don't feel like I'm going to return to this thread as starfishs are probably just going to give me prolonged pollution to my thoughts after reading their posts.

Discuss and flame me.

The reasons for the lack of natural selection and other massively important mechanics to evolution are that it is nearly impossible to create a game from that...
The reasons for the lack of natural selection and other massively important mechanics to evolution is that EA is a piece of stuff company run by pussies who would not spend $5 on anything unless it has been proven to work at least 100 times.
The original E3 demo consisted of so much mind-blowing stuff that was just scrapped for the sake of making the game more accessable.

Most designers are stuff nowadays and attribute lack of accessability to complexity, not presentation.
You can have the most complex game of all time, but if you make the menus and player interaction intuitive, people will love it. This is Mac's philosophy and even though I hate those greedy bastards almost as much as I hate EA, at least they know how to design things for the user.

This is also sadly the reason why SOE forgeted the stuff out of Star Wars Galaxies. WoW did a good job at presenting their game in an easy way and Sony saw this as it being an easy game that was stealing their customers and thus decided to "dumb down" their game.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 12:27:05 PM by Blackchrome »

Who's complaining about it and why are they doing so so late after the game was released?

Who's complaining about it and why are they doing so so late after the game was released?
They have been since it was released.

Also, modifying your creature wasn't random at all. It was just like it is now except a lot better.

It's not evolution per se, it's modification.

The game clearly says it's based on evolution. Modification is more along the lines of the Creature Tweeker tool in the Space Stage.
As I said before, it's an attempt at a metaphor, not a literal representation, of evolution that allows for maximum user created content.

The reasons for the lack of natural selection and other massively important mechanics to evolution is that EA is a piece of stuff company run by pussies who would not spend $5 on anything unless it has been proven to work at least 100 times.
The original E3 demo consisted of so much mind-blowing stuff that was just scrapped for the sake of making the game more accessable.

Most designers are stuff nowadays and attribute lack of accessability to complexity, not presentation.
You can have the most complex game of all time, but if you make the menus and player interaction intuitive, people will love it. This is Mac's philosophy and even though I hate those greedy bastards almost as much as I hate EA, at least they know how to design things for the user.

This is also sadly the reason why SOE forgeted the stuff out of Star Wars Galaxies. WoW did a good job at presenting their game in an easy way and Sony saw this as it being an easy game that was stealing their customers and thus decided to "dumb down" their game.
Tell me, how fun it would be to continuously wait for your creature to die of natural causes, then having the player switch to one of the offspring that has a small chance of a minor variation?
Exactly what game mechanics did they scrap? To be honest most of what they removed was aesthetic. Most of what they already had at the E3 I believe still exists with a different appearance; the mechanics are the same. The game wouldn't be Spore if all modification was completely due to mutation, even if the player continuously bred their creatures over time. User-created content is a very core concept for Spore, not just a simulation of reality.

Also, I don't think Mac's philosophy was to make a really loving complicated systems, if that's what you said. I'm not sure whether or not you implied that. If you're referring to Apple's computers, don't they focus on having their systems user-friendly and casual?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 07:50:06 PM by The Titanium »

Evolution takes too long, I don't have time to play cell stage for thousands of years.

This is also sadly the reason why SOE forgeted the stuff out of Star Wars Galaxies.
How about I slap your stuff?
Swg is quite enjoyable and isint dumbed down at all
if you want dumbed down try freerealms

SPORE GALACTIC ADVENTURES
"Evolve" your character to fight!
SPORE CREATURES
SPORE HEROES
DARK SPORE

Evolution takes too long, I don't have time to play cell stage for thousands of years.
qft
SPORE GALACTIC ADVENTURES
SPORE CREATURES
SPORE HEROES
DARK SPORE
Did you know that evolution by definition also means progress, so technically things other than life can evolve.
Modern computing and its complexity has evolved over time, is this wrong?
Also, you seem to be completely missing every one of my points.
Also, I don't really get what you mean by GALACTIC ADVENTURES. Since when does the player evolve their character?
Don't they add parts to their suit weaponry?
As I've repeated many more times than I should, one of Spore's core mechanics is how you can modify your character into millions of possible forms.

They have been since it was released.

Also, modifying your creature wasn't random at all. It was just like it is now except a lot better.
By a lot better, what do you mean? Some of the only differences would be the 'cuteness' of the different parts. This is an aesthetic difference and doesn't account for gameplay. Users are fully capable of making less cartoonish creatures given how powerful the creature creator is. Easy examples are found in the Sporepedia.
I'd expect that by now it's a lot less glitchy, is stable, and introduces some more tools for advanced users. (ctrl-limb connection, alt-copy, a-asymmetry)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 03:17:40 PM by The Titanium »