Blockland actual server

Author Topic: Blockland actual server  (Read 15417 times)

It's like my TDM doesn't even exist...
I love your TDM i just want to see what heed hosts.

Hetzner is in Germany, but honestly, you all need to man the forget up if it even bothers you. Blockland plays smoothly up to over a thousand ping, there's just a minor delay but it doesn't jerk back and forth like Source games do. In fact, there is a grand total of *LE GASP* 0 servers up right now that I have less than 300 ping to for Blockland, and that doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Americans would get, what, 100 ping or so instead of 40-50? Big whoop. It's not going to affect a thing.

Plus, it's not really fair to host it in America if you want English/European players to participate, by your logic. You can't please everyone, so it'd be best to go with the best hosting deal rather than trying.

Also, you could easily run several servers off that machine - not only Blockland but other games, as you say. And if I had the cash right now I'd happily contribute to running it. (Actually, if I had the cash right now, I'd have one to myself and be running a multiple-server RPG using one server for each major zone)

I think players should only have to suffer a reasonable level of latency if they are paying for a server to be hosted. It doesn't make sense to have a server in Europe serving American players when you could just as easily have two separate servers providing better service. I generally don't play DMs in BL, but I'm sure no one wishes to experience "rubber-banding" or stuttering in a fast-paced game.

My comment about fairness had an implied "and vice versa" that I neglected to include. It wasn't meant to offend our friends from across the pond.

I think players should only have to suffer a reasonable level of latency if they are paying for a server to be hosted. It doesn't make sense to have a server in Europe serving American players when you could just as easily have two separate servers providing better service. I generally don't play DMs in BL, but I'm sure no one wishes to experience "rubber-banding" or stuttering in a fast-paced game.

My comment about fairness had an implied "and vice versa" that I neglected to include. It wasn't meant to offend our friends from across the pond.
However it doesn't really get to the point where we experience those issues - my latency is still smooth, I just need to lead a lot if I'm actually playing a DM which is a problem quite simply solved by not playing DMs in a building game. I don't really care for them and I believe that if you want to play TF2 you should just go play TF2 instead of playing a TF2 replica in Blockland.

Regardless of my own inability to enjoy DMs, 100 or so latency is not bad and everyone that complains about getting that sort of ping needs to get their head out of their gaping starfish and realize that the world isn't perfect and most people don't want to shell out another $100 or so per month to give them a measly 1/20th of a second decrease in latency.

Kalphiter's server, which uses the same model I was talking about, averaged 140 latency with 61 players. Kalph lives relatively close to me (N.J). And plus, his server was running tons of other stuff at once according to screenshots I was supplied.

most people don't want to shell out another $100 or so per month to give them a measly 1/20th of a second decrease in latency.
FTW
Society is horrible about overpricing in order to make a profit.

Germany is cheaper according to ATFClan and my own research.

$69/month yields:
XLhost (Ohio, US): 80GB hard disk drive, 1GB RAM, 1000GB Transfer
Hetzner (Bavaria, Germany): 2x750GB hard disk drive, 8GB RAM, 5000GB Transfer
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 08:44:15 AM by Kalphiter »

FTW
Society is horrible about overpricing in order to make a profit.

Germany is cheaper according to ATFClan and my own research.

$69/month yields:
XLhost (Ohio, US): 80GB hard disk drive, 1GB RAM, 1000GB Transfer
Hetzner (Bavaria, Germany): 2x750GB hard disk drive, 8GB RAM, 5000GB Transfer
What's the best they got for 35$ a month or less?

We have the same hardware configuration like in the link mentioned (49€ server, link on the 1st page) for our ATF clan server.
Kalphs bl dedicated server needed around 800mb RAM and 3-5% CPU usage, with almost 50 people playing on it. You guys can calculate yourself how many people, distributed on several blockland servers, the whole server can run (+ OS). You usually host more servers with more slots, because all servers won't be full at the same time.

We use our server to host a 512 Slot Teamspeak server (Teamspeak = voice communication software), some FTPs (to up-, download and store files), 4 Modern Warfare 1 servers and 3 blockland servers (Quality town, passworded medieval building server, Kalphs server).
--> Server hardware usage: ~14% CPU and 4gb RAM. ~20 people were playing on the different game servers, when i checked the usage.
You can also host homepages on the server, the connection is strong. Some of our partner clans do that on their servers.
This are just the 'basic' servers, we start more game servers when we need them, like ArmA2, Crysis, GTA:SA MP, ... servers. That's the advantage you wouldn't have, if you rent a dedicated game server hosted in a data center instead of a whole 'computer' hosted in a data center. So the plan of heedicalking, to buy a whole 'computer' (server) in a data center makes you all more flexible. You can host what you want.

@Heedicalking:
-You need people who can pay you the money monthly and in time, which is usually the case, when you have a permanent income. 50€ + 15€ (Windows) = 65€/ month (~88$) is a lot of money!
-They need computer knowledge/skills. They have to work with FTP tools and should know how to edit a config file. You configure everything in the config files or in the console, because it's a server and there is no graphics card to run a game.
-You need a structure, like how many servers everybody is allowed to start, which ports they use, etc...

Before I even think about setting up paypal, I would need more people to actually sponsor the idea. I won't open a paypal to have 3 people donate $5 and then have me dish out tons of money for the rest of it, only to close it after a month due to not being able to support it all on me lonesome.

I need people to post:
  • How much money they are willing to donate.
  • What they want out of it. (Admin for a specific time period, donating just to support the cause, hosting privileges)
  • If they would be paying monthly or just once.

Bump.

Edit: I was wondering if you could actually physically own a server in your house.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-DL360-G4-64-bit-Server-2xXeon-3-4GHz-8GB-RAM-2x300GB-/270661219257?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item3f04aa73b9#ht_3500wt_1183
The problem I would see is that it wouldn't be fast, since it would be using your home connection. right? I don't think it actually comes with its own connection.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 04:51:57 PM by heedicalking »

Bump.

Edit: I was wondering if you could actually physically own a server in your house.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-DL360-G4-64-bit-Server-2xXeon-3-4GHz-8GB-RAM-2x300GB-/270661219257?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item3f04aa73b9#ht_3500wt_1183
The problem I would see is that it wouldn't be fast, since it would be using your home connection. right? I don't think it actually comes with its own connection.
maybe you plug it into your computer and it has internet

I'd definitely pay up to $20.00 US Dollars for this.

It would be very fun and would keep Blockland from having those boring with nothing to do moments.

I think I could help with this project, as I recently figured out how to host servers from behind the University firewall here, and based off the amount of bandwidth I have, I could theoretically host ~6-7 servers of 64 players each, or ~ 384-448 players. I have two desktops here, both of which are on 24/7 running F@H. My primary is decently powerful (4 GB DDR3, Dual core Athlon II @ 3.6 GHz), and the other is an old P4 System (2.8 GHz single core, 1.5 GB ram). There would be no extra cost to me if I started hosting with what I have here because our electricity bill is already factored in with the housing costs, and there is no bandwidth cap. The only problem is that per internet usage rights here, I am not allowed to accept donations/money, but if enough people are interested I would host a few servers. Also there are still some restrictions that prevent ping measurements from showing up in the server browser for my servers.

I like the idea of this, however, if this were to work, there would have to be a lot of experienced members of the community made admins. Who would decide who those admins would be? Also, what of private servers? This could potentially destroy people that don't have a share in the server's hosting capabilities by putting roughly one quarter to one fifth of the Blockland community on one server that would be online all the time.

I like the idea of this, however, if this were to work, there would have to be a lot of experienced members of the community made admins. Who would decide who those admins would be? Also, what of private servers? This could potentially destroy people that don't have a share in the server's hosting capabilities by putting roughly one quarter to one fifth of the Blockland community on one server that would be online all the time.
There are 500-600 players peak time at night, I really doubt 100+ of them would be on one server.

There are 500-600 players peak time at night, I really doubt 100+ of them would be on one server.
i wnat admin lol
Seriously though I'd apply for Admin.
Before I even think about setting up paypal, I would need more people to actually sponsor the idea. I won't open a paypal to have 3 people donate $5 and then have me dish out tons of money for the rest of it, only to close it after a month due to not being able to support it all on me lonesome.

I need people to post:
  • How much money they are willing to donate.
  • What they want out of it. (Admin for a specific time period, donating just to support the cause, hosting privileges)
  • If they would be paying monthly or just once.
I would offer at least 15$ right now.