New "brick": Portal

Author Topic: New "brick": Portal  (Read 11881 times)

Would be nice to have a tool with which you could create these bricks in the way that first you place a ghost brick of a 1x1 plate somewhere, move it to the proper location if necessary, and when you press the "place brick" key, you'll place the brick, BUT now you'll have to move ANOTHER 1x1 plate ghost brick around, and this determines the corner opposite to the one you just placed. When the other corner is placed, the portal brick will pretty much just sit there and do nothing interesting, until you use the wrench give it an ID and input another ID to which the brick will connect to, not to forget which surface to use as the portal (N, S, E, W, U or D).

When two portal bricks are placed and they're set to connect (could be restricted so that the bricks must be the same size to connect, too), they'd show a picture of the "other side of the portal" on their portal surface. Upon touching the portal surface, the player would instantly be teleported to the other portal brick, preferably seamlessly (like in some maps that can be made in Hammer and other map editors), and perhaps with a slight nudge so that the player won't touch the portal surface immediately after reappearing (which would make him teleport back to where he started and continue teleporting ad infinitum).

This is the idea I came up with when trying to map out Hitm4n's ubermaze, because some of the walkways and corridors seemed to take up the exact same location in the maze WITHOUT intersecting, and this confused the heck out of me. :cookieMonster:

This would be quite neat for making the illusion of a building that is larger on the inside than the outside. :P

Basicly you want id teleporters -.-

seriously just sum it up people...

Lol @ Flea but i also think that it would be better since the jet lag is pretty high, it would be easier to get from place to place.

Nitramj made me teleporters with IDs. :D

He told me not to release them though. :O

ifonly I knew Retails brick commands...I'll do .dump on one later, but if there was an oncollision, it's go something like this, but this i'm sure won't work because i'm just making up an example:
Code: [Select]
function brick::oncollision(%this,%col) {
if(%col.namebase && %this.isteleporter) {
  %col.settransform(%this.otherendtransform);
}
}

Wow, lame.  First of all, it would be the player datablock ::onCollision, because it's the player colliding with the brick.  Second, collision portal stuff is outdated.  I would prefer a key system.  You walk up to a portal, 'insert' your key, and it opens a menu of all the available portals.  Then you could choose where you want to go.  Some portals could be restricted to admins/super admins only.

ifonly I knew Retails brick commands...I'll do .dump on one later, but if there was an oncollision, it's go something like this, but this i'm sure won't work because i'm just making up an example:
function brick::oncollision(%this,%col) {
if(%col.namebase && %this.isteleporter) {
  %col.settransform(%this.otherendtransform);
}
}
When I post a script like that, I never mean for it to EVER work I'm just giving a rough example on how it should work. I f'ed up in posting and didn't say this in the post :/

fxDTSBricks do not have a collision callback so there is no way of knowing when you're touching one - without a little haxx.

If anyone has teh hax, It'd be you Ephi. :3

Basicly you want id teleporters -.-
More like ID PORTALS, which you can see through to the other side. Observer:
0 = player, | = portal, . = nondescript floor
An examplatory useage of portals:
...0...|   |.......
To the player, this would look more like thus:
...0...|.......
Or perhaps like this (if the thing is advanced enough):
Of course, it could have different modes (auto-connect-to-ID, portal gateways, etc.), but still, the main thing this would add is the view to the "other side" of the teleportation whatsit.

The only thing possible would be a very cheap imitation wherein the player's camera is mounted to a brick at the connected portal.

Could you even get it so that it'd take a quick snapshot of the other side of the portal and place it on the portal side of the connecting brick?

And I think different sizes of portal bricks might be enough after all, ya know, to retain at least SOME possibility of this ever being made. :P

Meh, Teleport Item was the original suggestion? Maybe an item for the item attach for brick, and when you touched it it'd teleport you....lol.....stupid idea?