Author Topic: Floating Player Names  (Read 5289 times)

That's where color-coded Minigames come in....(everyone 1 color of player if free-for-all, team color for teams minigame, color can only be used once throughout the whole server.)

Badspot, I thought people in the minigame you are in would be highlighted in Player List. Not sure if they said to hide that, too....but you said that:
...you wont be able to tell who is in your minigame and who isn't...

Yeah but if you hide the names, you wont be able to identify each player's avatar in the actual game world.  And if there are two minigames running that have hidden player names, everyone will look the same and it will be impossible to tell who is in your minigame. 
It would be nice to be able to have a minigame where sniping is a challenge.

i agree.i was doing a deathmatch and i changed my avatar all black so i could crawl around and nobody woulld notice me unfortunately, i was crwling along and my name was floating above one of the buildings and somone killed me wid a sniper r ROFL. seriously though ood idea.  :cookieMonster: :cookie:

Badspot, I thought people in the minigame you are in would be highlighted in Player List. Not sure if they said to hide that, too....but you said that:
...you wont be able to tell who is in your minigame and who isn't...

Yeah but if you hide the names, you wont be able to identify each player's avatar in the actual game world.  And if there are two minigames running that have hidden player names, everyone will look the same and it will be impossible to tell who is in your minigame. 

Don't all mini-games need to have a different colour already? You can't make two red minigames. Also, if someone's trying to run around with no name on and do annoying things, you could just kick them or end that minigame.

Wouldn't it be possible just to have the no-name effect apply to only people in that mini-game? People in a blue mini-game with names turned off would still be able to see the names of people in the red mini-game. Everyone else would be able to see the names of the people in the blue mini-game, with the exception of the people in the blue mini-game.

Clam

Is it possible to turn floating off names client side (with F5) without disabling the crosshair too?

I'm working on a script where you can toggle names on and off, although it's still possible to show them with a client-side script, but not easy for the average blockhead.

>> Edit
Code:
package HideNames{
   function serverCmdToggleNames(%client){
      if(%client.isSuperAdmin){
         if($HidePlayerNames){
            messageClient(%client, '', 'Player names ON.');
            $HidePlayerNames = 0;
            for(%i=0;%i<ClientGroup.getCount();%i++){
               %cl = ClientGroup.getObject(%i);
               if(isObject(%cl.player)){
                  %cl.player.setShapeName(%cl.name);
               }
            }
         } else {
            messageClient(%client, '', 'Player names OFF.');
            $HidePlayerNames = 1;
            for(%i=0;%i<ClientGroup.getCount();%i++){
               %cl = ClientGroup.getObject(%i);
               if(isObject(%cl.player)){
                  %cl.player.setShapeName("");
               }
            }
         }
      }
   }
   function GameConnection::spawnPlayer(%this){
      Parent::spawnPlayer(%this);
      if($HidePlayerNames){
         %this.player.setShapeName("");
      }
   }
};
ActivatePackage(HideNames);

Make a new Add-on file called HideNames.cs or whatever and copy the script in, make sure you enable it. Type /togglenames to toggle them on and off.

http://returntoblockland.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4779

Tested, works.

Badspot

• Administrator
That's where color-coded Minigames come in....(everyone 1 color of player if free-for-all, team color for teams minigame, color can only be used once throughout the whole server.)
You would have to disable avatar customization for that to work and that would be terrible.

Try fixing the sniper rifle so that it isn't a machine gun.

Sniping was quite balanced in tribes, despite always having a red arrow over your head and a big red line pointing back to your location every time you fired.  Being shot by people you can't see is not fun.  And you people disabling the names on the server arent thinking about all of the consequences of doing that. 

Lol Tribes 2, I ran behind people with a cloak pack and used that shock gun :D

It should be made so that enemy names don't appear over their heads in a team deathmatch, so you could use stealth instead of having a name give you away, but at the same time making it possible to distinguish friends so you don't shoot them in the dark

You would have to disable avatar customization for that to work and that would be terrible.

Try fixing the sniper rifle so that it isn't a machine gun.

Sniping was quite balanced in tribes, despite always having a red arrow over your head and a big red line pointing back to your location every time you fired.  Being shot by people you can't see is not fun.  And you people disabling the names on the server arent thinking about all of the consequences of doing that. 

When I make a DM server I try to keep it as realistic as I can; buildings made from 2x2 bricks so you can destroy walls with the nifty remote bomb, vast landscapes and enterable buildings- when you disable names you've got more realism; a harder deathmatch. You could just kick anyone that spawn kills or actions related to that.

Basically, I think the only consequence would be more spawn killers and cheap shots, but since I always host privately, I know none of my friends would do that, therefore eliminating a reason to worry.