Author Topic: Floating Player Names  (Read 5347 times)

Someone brought this to my attention on the RTB forums, and I decided to post it over here, since it is a pretty good suggestion.

On the mini-game menu, there should be an option to toggle player names on or off, as well as set a maximum draw distance. For example, you won't see a giant red Wedge on the other side of the map when you are playing death match.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 11:41:17 AM by Wedge »

great idea
like in war games in the dark you wont see them across the battle feild and be ablet o snipe em with a pistol
great idea

Someone brought this to my attention on the RTB forums, and I decided to post it over here, since it is a pretty good suggestion.

On the mini-game menu, there should be an option to toggle player names on or off, as well as set a maximum draw distance. For example, you won't see a giant red Wedge on the other side of the map when you are playing death match.
I've been saying this since day one. The only major problem is that it is easy to hack. Unless yoiu turn off player names alltogether.

I think its pretty silly not to include a feature because "it could be hacked..." Some people will always want to hack and do cheap things to win while the majority of us just want to have fun.

A very good idea, I support it!

* StoreClerk adds 1x1x10 brick underneath

Seea giant wedge on the other side of the map, eh?

It points directly at my head, so snipers know where to fire. You can also see it behind walls.

Haha I know, I felt like MSPainting something.

I could make a unhaxable or hard to hack mod to toggle the names serverside. Infact, i'm working on it know :D

Badspot

• Administrator
You can turn them off server-side, but it's a really bad idea.  People will use minigames to hide their identity and you wont be able to tell who is in your minigame and who isn't.

I don't think that marginal visibility is ever a good gameplay dynamic.  I let you all get away with a lot of crapped up mods, I wish you would just accept this as a design decision and move on.   

Badspot, I thought people in the minigame you are in would be highlighted in Player List. Not sure if they said to hide that, too....but you said that:
...you wont be able to tell who is in your minigame and who isn't...

fishpen0

I think it would be good if it was controlled by super admins only.  And server side only.

Badspot

• Administrator
Badspot, I thought people in the minigame you are in would be highlighted in Player List. Not sure if they said to hide that, too....but you said that:
...you wont be able to tell who is in your minigame and who isn't...

Yeah but if you hide the names, you wont be able to identify each player's avatar in the actual game world.  And if there are two minigames running that have hidden player names, everyone will look the same and it will be impossible to tell who is in your minigame.