Author Topic: Force player to download sertain file  (Read 3141 times)

I was making a challenge lately, and if a player joins that couldn't hear the sounds because they didn't download it would suck. I was wondering, is it possible to make a certain script/rtb pref that would force players to download sounds/textures/models, etcetra?

Thanks in advance, Olaf.

As per the obvious, if possible, everyone would have some hidden virus. We have some major starfishs, and if they had such an ability, we might all be dead.

As per the obvious, if possible, everyone would have some hidden virus. We have some major starfishs, and if they had such an ability, we might all be dead.
Only allow force download of .wav, .ogg, and .pngs?

Only allow force download of .wav, .ogg, and .pngs?

All filetypes we can introduce problematic stuff. Although the methods, not sure. Good thing the decal glitch can't be repeated the same way, I remember that from v0002.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 05:19:10 AM by MegaScientifical »

Yes, the force download would only be used for .ogg and .wav and .png not for executables, i think sending exe's aren't even possible... is it?

Yes, the force download would only be used for .ogg and .wav and .png not for executables, i think sending exe's aren't even possible... is it?

If you think only .exe files can introduce viruses, or that ogg/wav/png can not contain them, you're mistaken. Besides that, it's not just viruses. It's coding and such that cause simple problems. Annoying files and such.

But we've already answered your question. Move along. I'm not having research pngs on my computer, or wav/ogg of gay modern music. Decaldata.

Most servers that requier certain client add-ons have a script that will check if the file is downloaded.
If the client add-on is not downloaded, the client will be disconnected from the server with a link to the add-on as the disconnect-message.
An example is DRPG.

Those Add-Ons are total stuff. They break up the community and flow that the game should have. Nothing should be so complicated, and those Add-Ons are prime examples of the stuff that leaked through the cracks.

Those Add-Ons are total stuff. They break up the community and flow that the game should have. Nothing should be so complicated, and those Add-Ons are prime examples of the stuff that leaked through the cracks.
It's still nice to have custom GUIs.

But you should also have access to /cmd versions of the game in case you don't have the GUIs.

and a bloody help article system because i can't find out how to do some things GOD DANG IT

But you should also have access to /cmd versions of the game in case you don't have the GUIs.
GUIs are way simpler and look good (most of them).
However, using this technic for custom sounds is a bit too much.
Just put the link to the add-on in your welcome-message.

All the RPGs are like that. Even a TDM/DM is a kind of RPG. Most of the servers are RPGs.
However, I agree: RPGs that change some main aspects of the game are total stuff.

GUIs are way simpler and look good (most of them).
However, using this technic for custom sounds is a bit too much.
Just put the link to the add-on in your welcome-message.
All the RPGs are like that. Even a TDM/DM is a kind of RPG. Most of the servers are RPGs.
However, I agree: RPGs that change some main aspects of the game are total stuff.

The trouble is every Add-On wanting a GUI keybinded to your keyboard. There's a limit to human memory of so many keybinds for so many GUIs you'll barely get use of. Also, most RPGs in Blockland work without clientside downloads. I've only found a few cases, and it is annoying to get locked out of servers by it. I have this one GUI, have no idea what it is, and it seems useless to me. I will delete it, as it is just a random keybind whereas I must manually click the X to close.

The trouble is every Add-On wanting a GUI keybinded to your keyboard. There's a limit to human memory of so many keybinds for so many GUIs you'll barely get use of. Also, most RPGs in Blockland work without clientside downloads. I've only found a few cases, and it is annoying to get locked out of servers by it. I have this one GUI, have no idea what it is, and it seems useless to me. I will delete it, as it is just a random keybind whereas I must manually click the X to close.

It'd be nice if multiple functions could be binded to one key and then only ran if on a server running the mod that requires the GUI. That way you could set all of your 'Main Menu' keys to something, all of your 'Inventory' keys, ect.

Sure, I'll just make it so you have to control a 30 slot inventory using slash commands. Sounds fun!
The community doesn't 'flow' at all, I don't even know what the forget you're saying. Downloading a GUI makes the game not a bitch to play, and more fun because you can actually see visually what you need to do. You'll find more people would rather download a GUI then play a game with slash commands.