The iOS Jailbreaking/Android Rooting Megathread

Author Topic: The iOS Jailbreaking/Android Rooting Megathread  (Read 3371 times)

This is a thread for both Android "rooting" and iOS "jailbreaking", why you should do it, how to do it, apps exclusive to root/jailbreakers, as well as a place to show off your rooted/jailbroken device. We had a previous thread about this a while back, but I decided that we need a newer thread with more information from someone who's used both iOS and Android quite extensively.

Disclaimers!
First off, I'm not responsible for anything you do, this is simply a tutorial. I won't be held liable for if you brick your device while doing this.

Why you should jailbreak
On iOS, you're limited to things only approved by Apple, on their "App Store". Outside of that, you cannot run anything that requires manual access to the filesystem (for example, installing and playing Doom or any emulator). There's only one way to access the entire filesystem, and it requires becoming the root user. After you jailbreak, you get an app called Cydia, which is a third party app store. This allows you to install stuff that lets you modify your own device, and the possibilities are pretty wide after that. You can apply custom themes, remove system applications that you never use, make your iOS device unique and not like the rest.

On Android, you're not nearly as limited. You can install applications outside of the Android Market by default, install different home screens, and much, much more. However, there's still a perfectly good reason to root your device: custom Android ROMs. Most devices you get from carriers have unremovable bloatware (apps you don't want) or the ROM isn't fully optimized. There are plenty of ROMs made from the base of Android (referred to as Android Open Source Project ROMS or AOSP ROMS) that give you much more performance with a stock Android experience. On top of that, you can also use your device to wirelessly tether your laptop, something that can't be done without root. And again, you can apply custom themes, modify your filesystem, all of that.

How to jailbreak/root
For iOS, you'll want to use the utility called redsn0w. It is compatible with all iOS devices that have been out on the market (except for the iPad 2G). Beware, on iOS, when Apple releases a new update, DO NOT UPDATE IMMEDIATELY. You will have to wait for a new jailbreak to be developed for that version of iOS, as Apple will try to patch it up.

For Android devices, it varies depending on what version of Android you're on, and sometimes what device.
For devices running Android 2.1, it seems to be completely dependent on what kind of phone you have. I can't find any info on an "all-in-one" way to root 2.1.
For devices running Android 2.2, you'll have to download and run the application "Z4Root" on your phone.
For devices running Android 2.3.3, you'll need to download and run the application "GingerBreak" on your phone. (You might need an XDA Developers account to download that file).

Things exclusive to jailbroken iOS users:
WinterBoard, an app that can theme iOS (Cydia)
MobileTerminal, for terminal access (Cydia)
Glasklart, a transparent theme for WinerBoard (Cydia)
iOS4 Features (iPod Touch 2G only, Cydia)
SBFlasher (Cydia)
(help expand this list by suggesting stuff)

Cydia repositories
http://phajas.xen.prgmr.com/repo/

Things exclusive to rooted Android users:
CyanogenMod, a custom, highly customizable and feature-packed AOSP ROM
ROM Manager
Wireless Tether for Root Users (Android 2.2 only)
AndroSS, an easy utility for device screenshots
(help expand this list by suggesting stuff)

Your turn
Show off your jailbroken/rooted device (don't forget to include screenshots and device info like specs and what ROM you're using), suggest things for both jailbroken iOS and rooted Android, and ask questions about jailbreaking/rooting.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 08:16:20 PM by Miga »

Glad to see this Miga.

Add a list of repos, it would serve well.

If you want the fancy new notifier from iOS 5, you can get it from here.

Glad to see this Miga.

Add a list of repos, it would serve well.

If you want the fancy new notifier from iOS 5, you can get it from here.

Added. I'll also be posting an example of showing off your device after I do some other stuff. I'm a little bit busy at the moment, so it can wait.

There's a great repo out there called -censored-, look it up.

As for jailbreaking, there are multiple applications to do so. Redsn0w is a good one, so is Greenpoison.

Also mention that jailbreaking changes for each update released by apple, so I suggest that people should keep an eye on the iphone dev team blog, because often for updates the jailbreaks/unlocks don't work for a while. For a couple updates nothing worked for a long time, so mention that. If you become reliant on the jailbreak/unlock, never update when apple releases new software.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:28:12 AM by Trifax »

Add how to remove the stuff you've done to your iPhone.
It should be in iTunes when you sync your phone up

There's a great repo out there called -censored-, look it up.

As for jailbreaking, there are multiple applications to do so. Redsn0w is a good one, so is Greenpoison.

Also mention that jailbreaking changes for each update released by apple, so I suggest that people should keep an eye on the iphone dev team blog, because often for updates the jailbreaks/unlocks don't work for a while. For a couple updates nothing worked for a long time, so mention that. If you become reliant on the jailbreak/unlock, never update when apple releases new software.
Pm'd.
the forget

greenpois0n RC6 + iOS 4.2.1 here on an iPod Touch 2G MC model. Totally worth the jailbreak.

yeah I'm behind.

I wish there was a way to Jailbreak a Kyocera phone.

That stuff is limited as hell

Android 2.2.2, should I use Z4root?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:51:00 AM by AfterShock »

I wish there was a way to Jailbreak a Kyocera phone.

That stuff is limited as hell

Kyocera is lol.

Also, redsn0w over here.

Here we go, as promised, my "showoff" thing that can (and should) also be used as a template.

(images scaled down, bananas and XPERIA PLAY dock for viewing pleasure)

Motorola Droid 2 Global
ROM: CyanogenMod 7

Specs:
1.2 GHz TI OMAP ARMv7 processor with 512 MB of RAM, 854x480 screen.
You can add additional info, but this is the recommended. If you need a program for screenshots on Android, download and use AndroSS. For iOS users, press power and home at the same time, you should see a white flash on your screen and a camera shutter sound.

Also Trifax, I'll be updating my post with your info, almost forgot about it. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:56:13 AM by Miga »

I've had my iPhone jailbroken since god knows when. Before iOS 3.

This is my favorite theme, but for some godforsaken reason the docked apps like to float.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 02:11:49 AM by TripleNickels »

You should get the Five Icon Dock thing that gets you five columns for the springboard and the dock.

Wish I could do this with my Samsung Impression (SGH-A877) :(