Author Topic: My opinion on the current state of Lego  (Read 5521 times)

The bricks for the New Sets are to Big and the Sets are to small...
That's because Lego is making their products more kid-friendly than budding architect-friendly.

I think the ultimate low-point for LEGO was around 1999.

In 1997 I remember getting a 1995(?) set, which was a truck, a trailer and three race cars with pilots. That set was awesome, as it had plenty of bricks and lots of neat features, like a two deck car transporter trailer that you could fold up and down for loading, or a crocodile jack for lifting cars.

In 1999 I got a similar, a truck with a trailer and two race cars. It was sort of disappointing, the set had a very little amount of bricks in contrast to its size, as most of them were huge panels. There were less neat features too, and this resulted in basically having no point of breaking down the set as many of the set elements were little to no use for other things.

I disagree. TECHNIC and Mindstorms are okay. They're aiming for an audience who wants a more advanced, in-depth LEGO experience. Kinda like those detailed trains and Architecture sets. 
I agree. I still remember when I got my first RIS (2.0) set.

I agree. I still remember when I got my first RIS (2.0) set.
Yeah, I had that one too. I loved making robots, though the programming/building wasn't always easy.

Yeah, I had that one too. I loved making robots, though the programming/building wasn't always easy.
I loved the programming, but not the building. Usually I just followed some pre-defined building instructions but tried programming it myself.
Then came NXT and gone was the event-based programming model which is what made the RIS programming so great.

And then I got LeJOS.

lol, build a fort with 2x4's -> planes get smashed to pieces.

imagine you just keep throwing planes at them. eventually they begin to break through the walls. remember, the planes are also made of 2x4's.

The new legos are stupid since everything in the sets are so "Shiny and amazing in every way...!" like a pirate hook that used to be gray is now brigth pink or something
and why are the cool bricks in the girls princess sets?

I think you guys have forgotten that Lego has more stuff that they make then they do stuff that they don't make, which, they still technicly make because they have to design it.
And for all you people bitching about how Legos suck now, there's plently of ways to get classic/old legos easily, like Bricklink (which is the only one I use and remember the name of, I know there are more).

like a pirate hook that used to be gray is now brigth pink or something

HAHA, OH WOW
There are no 'bright pink' pirate hooks, you're just being stupid.

I have, as my friend would say, "like a bajillion" LEGO pieces. I agree, they are far too expensive. I agree, it is going downhill. I believe it is going downhill because they forgot their origins. They have to have all these big sets, based on movies and such. Bionicle, really the last remaining original LEGO sets, are all but vanishing off the face of the Earth. Now, they have to have LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Harry Potter... What happened to the generic 3-in-1 sets we knew and loved?

I liked the old lego sets where they charged you for what you get. Now, it's just $40 for some 300 piece set.

I still have probably thousands of dollars of legos in my room.

I liked the old lego sets where they charged you for what you get. Now, it's just $40 for some 300 piece set.

I still have probably thousands of dollars of legos in my room.
I agree, the price hike has been the main reason I have stopped buying LEGOs.

Anyone here remember Bionicle?

Anyone here remember Bionicle?
The MySpace of Lego? Couldn't forget it.