Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program, Or: How I learned to stop worrying and love THRUSTERRRSSSS  (Read 271816 times)

Only 4 minutes. :(

Edit: Hahaha, I'm so giddy.
I'm utterly stuff at this game and have been occassionally dabbling at it every now and then for like years.
And I just now FINALLY built a working, controllable plane! And I landed it (sort of) back on the runway!
I kind of came in a bit too low for landing, and I landed on the slope at the end of the runway, then bounced off the top and landed back onto the runway proper.
And unfortunately I couldn't slow down quite fast enough, so I rolled slightly and sheered off both the wings on my left side.

But other than that it was perfect!
And there's nothing scarier than doing a test-run plane flight before you've unlocked radial parachutes and have nowhere to stick a nose-mounted one!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:39:38 PM by sir dooble »

Only 4 minutes. :(

Edit: Hahaha, I'm so giddy.
I'm utterly stuff at this game and have been occassionally dabbling at it every now and then for like years.
And I just now FINALLY built a working, controllable plane! And I landed it (sort of) back on the runway!
I kind of came in a bit too low for landing, and I landed on the slope at the end of the runway, then bounced off the top and landed back onto the runway proper.
And unfortunately I couldn't slow down quite fast enough, so I rolled slightly and sheered off both the wings on my left side.

But other than that it was perfect!
And there's nothing scarier than doing a test-run plane flight before you've unlocked radial parachutes and have nowhere to stick a nose-mounted one!
can I see your plane
is it England standards or Welsh standards 

can I see your plane

or Somalia standards

can I see your plane
I think it's Kerbal standards.

It's not very fast (200m/s approx.), and it's quite slow to turn, and I feared forcing it to turn too quickly in case it just fell apart.
And to my shame, I have nothing else to use as a fuselage, as I haven't unlocked any better fuel tanks, nor fuselage parts.

hmm
looks Irish

what I suggest is instead of trying to use potatoes you put control surfaces on those back wings, if you don't have those then switch the wings around with the small ones on back and the big ones up front

Hmm. I've just done that, swapping the wings around, and now I can't get it to drive straight on the runway. It slides left and right before flipping over, so I can't get it fast enough to take off.

I don't know if this is because of me not knowing how to control it, the change to the wings, or if the plane was always going to do that and I just got lucky on my first take-off with the last one.

Edit: Actually, the Hermes 2 slides about a lot too. I don't know what I did before to get it off. Would it be more stable while moving if I changed the front most wheel to two of the back ones, like bike stabilisers?

Edit: Edit: Actually, two wheels on that roosterpit are a bit awkward, given it's tapered front. The wheels face slightly into each other, so turning is even more dangerous.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 08:14:10 PM by sir dooble »

Hmm. I've just done that, swapping the wings around, and now I can't get it to drive straight on the runway. It slides left and right before flipping over, so I can't get it fast enough to take off.

I don't know if this is because of me not knowing how to control it, the change to the wings, or if the plane was always going to do that and I just got lucky on my first take-off with the last one.

Edit: Actually, the Hermes 2 slides about a lot too. I don't know what I did before to get it off. Would it be more stable while moving if I changed the front most wheel to two of the back ones, like bike stabilisers?

Edit: Edit: Actually, two wheels on that roosterpit are a bit awkward, given it's tapered front. The wheels face slightly into each other, so turning is even more dangerous.
center of mass is ALWAYS ahead of the center of life, or your aircraft will be totally unstable and refuse to fly properly

center of mass is ALWAYS ahead of the center of life, or your aircraft will be totally unstable and refuse to fly properly

The centre of mass is ahead of the centre of lift in the Hermes 2 (the one pictured above).
In the Hermes 3, which Maxwell recommended, mass is slightly behind lift, but mostly overlaping.

H2 managed to fly the first time, and flew well.
This issue though is just getting it to drive down the runway straight before it takes off, which both of them now seem to be having trouble doing.

On an unrelated note, I would like to point out that this is a stupid loving way to do makeshift Radial Parachutes.

The Contract system has you come up with some stupid things when you don't have access to many parts.

I think it's Kerbal standards.

-snipperoni pizza-

It's not very fast (200m/s approx.), and it's quite slow to turn, and I feared forcing it to turn too quickly in case it just fell apart.
And to my shame, I have nothing else to use as a fuselage, as I haven't unlocked any better fuel tanks, nor fuselage parts.
sir
that's horrible
my Bee outperforms that by miles and its a much cheaper plane

there is a series of reasons why that aircraft wouldn't fly well

Well go on then, give me some advice for making a better plane with limited parts.
I only have the first two rocket unlocks, aerodynamics (basic plane parts) and survivability.

I would like to be able to have some sort of plane, so that I can do those missions about taking crew-reports over certain areas of the planet, and testing plane-related parts while in the air.

I wish there was a mod that let us make superfast planes that don't disintegrate after 3/4 of a minute

I wish there was a mod that let us make superfast planes that don't disintegrate after 3/4 of a minute
Difficulty -> Aerodynamic heating -> 0%

Well go on then, give me some advice for making a better plane with limited parts.
I only have the first two rocket unlocks, aerodynamics (basic plane parts) and survivability.

I would like to be able to have some sort of plane, so that I can do those missions about taking crew-reports over certain areas of the planet, and testing plane-related parts while in the air.
wait for me to get on my computer and I'll give you a low cost, low level plane that can go at decent speeds without imploding.

do you have the structural fuselage unlocked