Author Topic: Dropshock bought parts for his new computer! (They Arrived!)  (Read 2281 times)

Woah, woah. The forget? Where in the hell did this come from? That happened ages ago. As in, like over a year ago. We're definitely getting back on track now. We moved into my grandmother's house, and are paying off bills and loans now. We're getting back on track.fuq u

Anways, my parts came last night and I assembled them and it worked on my first try.
I've got it overclocked @ 4.2 GHz and I idle at around ~30C. It's so far, ran everything I've thrown at it. I had no idea how much my system was being bottlenecked by my CPU and RAM. I went from Mass Effect 2 being completely unplayable at lowest settings to running it at highest settings ~70 FPS. God damn.
Here's the Imgur Album of everything.
I forgot to take pictures of the stuff in the boxes because I was too excited to do anything else but assemble it.

Finally... after years of using this utter piece of stuff computer, I will be up to date! Sort of. I'm still using my old GPU.
Here's the parts:
You have no idea how loving happy I am. I can't even browse the internet on this thing without the CPU usage being at 100%. It's ridiculous.  I swear to god, my current CPU is the equivalent of a piece of construction paper with the words "THE PRODCESER" written on it in colored pencils.
Total came to exactly $450 when I included a fan and some nice thermal paste for the CPU.
I will totally take before and after pictures. The parts will arrive Wednesday the earliest.
Anyone have any suggestions for a new GPU once I get some more cash?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:20:15 PM by Dropshock »

i jelly
And I'm really excited. I have no idea how I'll be able to sit still until these parts arrive.

Your computer will be stuff in gaming unless you get a GPU, unless your ol GPU is good.

How much money are you expecting?

Your computer will be stuff in gaming unless you get a GPU, unless your ol GPU is good.

How much money are you expecting?
This is my GPU, PowerColor 512MB Radeon HD 5770 HD

For the new GPU? Depends. If I eventually get my Xbox sold I'll have $150 from that, then I'll get some more money afterwards from something. So anwhere from $150 to maybe $300? More around the $200 range though.

If you're going to sell your XBOX, might as well get a goo card.

if you're around the 170 range, get a Radeon 6870.

If you're around the 200 range. Get a GTX 560 Ti.

Either can play Crysis 2 max settings no lag. But the GTX 560 is MUCH faster. And can play the BF3 beta on ultra no lag.

I guess I'm getting the GTX 560ti. Any thoughts on my current card? What will I be able to play with my new specs + old card? I don't expect anything amazing, just HOPEFULLY Dead Island and a few more modern games.

Also I'm selling my Xbox because I have not and will not ever play it now that I'm into PC gaming. Originally I was using the money from the Xbox into this computer but we're a bit more on track now financially wise so I was able to get these parts without selling it.

Edit:
Oh, my PSU I'm getting from a friend will be 600w. That will handle my current parts and the GTX560ti, right? I'm overclocking my CPU also.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 09:01:03 PM by Dropshock »

Its an OK card. I haven't used it personally but you should look up benchmarks.

Anyways what's your monitor resolution?

1920x1080. I'll look up some benchmarks now I suppose.

youll do okay with that card.

Hm. The only problem I'm seeing with my card is the small 512MB buffer (And the fact that it's, well, old.), I guess I'll see what my performance is like when the parts arrive.

1920x1080. I'll look up some benchmarks now I suppose.

Get the radeon 6950 2gb ram. Its much better on 1080p than the 560.

Also 512mb ram sucks on 1080p

Hm, alright then. When I get to that point I'll probably post on Reddit to get some more GPU ideas but thanks for the help.
Any ideas about this?
Oh, my PSU I'm getting from a friend will be 600w. That will handle my current parts and the GTX560ti, right? I'm overclocking my CPU also.