Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 418839 times)

That's got a good cooler on it too.
Alright. I think I'll buy that as well as the last PSU I mentioned as soon as I get the money.

Now I realize that you don't know what you are talking about.

Yea you got me there, but to be fair saying "2500k processor" is very easily thought of as the speed of the processor, since I do not really keep up to date with the names of most processors.  lol 2500 khz would be a pretty sucky computer.

Anyway

The caviar green sucks ass. It's not a hard drive that people should get unless they really really need to save money. The SpinPoint is faster.

Can you explain this a little?  Just looking at the specs the one I linked to is far better in every category than most of the ones you picked.  Do you have personal experience with the quality of construction or durability?

I understand disk space and Data transfer speed, but can you explain the buffer memory?

Yea you got me there, but to be fair saying "2500k processor" is very easily thought of as the speed of the processor, since I do not really keep up to date with the names of most processors.  lol 2500 khz would be a pretty sucky computer.

Anyway

Can you explain this a little?  Just looking at the specs the one I linked to is far better in every category than most of the ones you picked.  Do you have personal experience with the quality of construction or durability?

I understand disk space and Data transfer speed, but can you explain the buffer memory?

The Caviar Green is low quality, even though it might look good, it's unreliable.

The Caviar Green is low quality, even though it might look good, it's unreliable.

Yea reading some more into it, I see that the disk spin rate is important too, and whatever weird thing they had listed as spin rate actually equated to poop.  Its not poorly made, its just slow reading, although I wonder how that works with 6gb data transfer rate.  Do both the spin rate and transfer rate affect how the hard drive performs, or is it a matter of whichever one is the slowest determining actual speed?

Yea reading some more into it, I see that the disk spin rate is important too, and whatever weird thing they had listed as spin rate actually equated to poop.  Its not poorly made, its just slow reading, although I wonder how that works with 6gb data transfer rate.  Do both the spin rate and transfer rate affect how the hard drive performs, or is it a matter of whichever one is the slowest determining actual speed?
It's the lowest that determines the speed.

Poking around some more, I think I like this one

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=61389&CatId=2459

$55 for 1TB @ 7200 rpm and 6gb/s w/ 32mb cache

I likey, but still; what the heck is the cache/buffer memory?

Poking around some more, I think I like this one

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=61389&CatId=2459

$55 for 1TB @ 7200 rpm and 6gb/s w/ 32mb cache

I likey, but still; what the heck is the cache/buffer memory?

Spinpoint F3 is the best for the money. That drive is low quality, look at the multiple reviews of it dying.

Prebuilt > Building

Never building a computer again. It's a HUGE pain in the ass, worth the extra money by far.

Prebuilt > Building

Never building a computer again. It's a HUGE pain in the ass, worth the extra money by far.
then again

if you build a computer and better parts are available

you have to replace only one part

not an entire computer

plus

most prebuilds are locked down to stuff

and you'll probably get in some stuff-large lawsuit

Prebuilt > Building

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229232

VS

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=17654645

SSD, better vid card, better case, better quality.

If you're too lazy to build it yourself and can't go slowly step-by-step, then it's your fault you're wasting money.

Prebuilt > Building

you are dumb as hell

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131700

aww yeeaahh

who would pay that much for a P67 board?

Spinpoint F3 is the best for the money. That drive is low quality, look at the multiple reviews of it dying.

Its more expensive and has half the data transfer rate.  Did you mean to switch that around?

Also, I am sure focusing on the 1 star reviews on a 4 star harddrive give you a great idea on how it will work

Ethan's budget choice

Ethan's higher performance choice

Both of them have numerous grievances about the drives.  It is probably becuase the people that make reviews are mostly the people that have been frustrated with the product more than the people that are happy and do not need to worry about it.  However, I don't consider myself an expert on anything about this.   I'm just comparing the specs and reviews.

My brother is trying to build a computer with a salvaged case, HDD, and DVD drive, his budget is around $300, and he wants a good GPU (at least enough to support Portal 2.) I'm getting frustrated of him asking what parts are good or not, and I seriously want him to get off my back.
Also, if you could do it on newegg.ca, I would be even more grateful.

Its more expensive and has half the data transfer rate.  Did you mean to switch that around?

Also, I am sure focusing on the 1 star reviews on a 4 star harddrive give you a great idea on how it will work

Ethan's budget choice

Ethan's higher performance choice

Both of them have numerous grievances about the drives.  It is probably becuase the people that make reviews are mostly the people that have been frustrated with the product more than the people that are happy and do not need to worry about it.  However, I don't consider myself an expert on anything about this.   I'm just comparing the specs and reviews.

Dont just look at the data transfer rate.

In fact, the Spinpoint F3 is faster, just because you se 3.0 GB/s doesn't mean it's worse.

Also, reliability is a key right here, what would you rather have, a solid hard drive that will last you a year, or one that dies in a few weeks?