Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 420868 times)

9500GT from like 2007 and my brother had it laying around
i've used a 6870 on my brother's computer and it's so nice playing everything maxed out :(
Ok so you have a 9500GT, a really old mid-range card, and you want to buy a refurb high-end sort of old card?  I just have a feeling your computer's PSU isn't going to be good enough if you have a 9500GT.

Ok so you have a 9500GT, a really old mid-range card, and you want to buy a refurb high-end sort of old card?  I just have a feeling your computer's PSU isn't going to be good enough if you have a 9500GT.
i bought it back in january for such an occasion but this is my power supply

What would happen if your computer uses too many watts for your PSU to handle?

It would not turn on.  The PSU is capable of generating X amount of watts. If the computer uses more than X amount, it will not function at full capacity, or, at all.

What would happen if your computer uses too many watts for your PSU to handle?
It honestly depends on the load the PSU is being forced upon. If your system load is too much for the power supply during operation, your system will probably power down or reboot. If it's too insufficient for powering the system up, it won't start up at all.

quoted the wrong post
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 05:55:15 PM by KoopaScooper »

It honestly depends on the load the PSU is being forced upon. If your system load is too much for the power supply during operation, your system will probably power down or reboot. If it's too insufficient for powering the system up, it won't start up at all.

quoted the wrong post
Would the PSU overheat, forcing it to power down?
Because when i play demanding games, my computer overheats and powers down, PSU being the hottest component.

Very short story of the douchebag who had to reinstall vista due to DRM:

Vista was causing huge problems and computer was overheating at desktop *cough securom cough* and constantly BSODs.
Reinstalling vista using the stuffty Dell DVD fixed it, but then i realized, it's a loving barebone vista install.
There was no drivers, period.
Couldn't download drivers for the computer because I couldn't find the model and to my luck, i found a driver DVD.
Installed that motherforgeter and what do i get?
Oh, just a menu that has a hidden extract button, wanna know why?
Oh, the computer was running at 800x600 and there was no scroller, Dell definitely tried on that one. /sarcasm
So, I plugged in a SD card into my laptop and started downloading NVIDIA drivers and plugged the SD card into the desktop, to my unsurprise it didn't work.
USB POWER GO!
Plugged in the camera and used it like a USB flash drive.
Installed NVIDIA drivers and maxed out resolution (1440xsomething, i assume 800) and installed the drivers, network and everything regained.

End story.

Installed some games and it overheated on the medium-high end games. Blockland worked fine apparently.
stuff.
If a new PSU doesn't work, then all this computer would be good for is an outrageously fast DVD burner, no errors either.

Notes for the story:
People say vista takes 2 hours to install, yet i installed it in 30 minutes on a somewhat weak computer (AMD Athlon (not athlon II) x2 at something Ghz)

I have a NVIDIA 9800GT paired with a 350 watt PSU.

Before reinstallation, computer took like 40-50 bar passes to start up. (1-2 minutes to start up)
Now it only takes 2-3 passes. (4-5 if updating, which is less then 10 seconds and around 10-15 seconds on update startup)

I think I should go to Newegg and purchase a new PSU, maybe a 450 watt since I wont be upgrading this stuffputer.

Yeah, it sounds like an overheating issue, but if you're running a less efficient version of the card, it could be overloading.
I'd buy a decent cheap PSU from newegg, perferrably something like this. It should be sufficient enough for your system since you only have an Athlon.

Yeah, it sounds like an overheating issue, but if you're running a less efficient version of the card, it could be overloading.
I'd buy a decent cheap PSU from newegg, perferrably something like this. It should be sufficient enough for your system since you only have an Athlon.
I want to upgrade to an Athlon II but I don't know if it will work on this stuffty ass motherboard that doesn't even have a health reports section.
I assume a 450W will work and I found a seemingly decent quality one for $60.
(Also, athlon II x4 is what i want to upgrade to.)

Oh, and I want to buy some DDR2 ram to a stable upgrade to 4GB without errors.

If you have a first gen athlon (and god forbid it's a loving dell computer), chances are you have a really restricted motherboard with an AM2 socket
i don't think it would work

If you have a first gen athlon (and god forbid it's a loving dell computer), chances are you have a really restricted motherboard with an AM2 socket
i don't think it would work
When the computer was available for purchase, you were able to get up to a phenom X4 with it :(

So, my luck might not be out, if I'm lucky I might have an AM3 socket.
And my luck is stuffty so I should really assume it's an AM2.

Also, I don't know how to tell what socket the motherboard is.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:46:57 PM by Trymos »

typically if you have the processor make or model we can tell the socket
you can gather this from DXdiag commonly
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 07:11:52 PM by KoopaScooper »

Will a 7750 run on a 500w PSU?

typically if you have the processor make or model we can tell the socket
you can gather this from DXdiag commonly
I'll do this tommorow, which will be the only 10 minutes ill be able to use the damn stufftop.
It refuses to boot without a keyboard and my brother is hogging up the keyboard.
(For you cigarettes, the motherboard nags to me about having no keyboard in, saying: Keyboard Failure, press f2 to enter setup or press f5 to boot, now i know where the no keyboard inserted press any key to continue joke came from.)

I'll do this tommorow, which will be the only 10 minutes ill be able to use the damn stufftop.
It refuses to boot without a keyboard and my brother is hogging up the keyboard.
(For you cigarettes, the motherboard nags to me about having no keyboard in, saying: Keyboard Failure, press f2 to enter setup or press f5 to boot, now i know where the no keyboard inserted press any key to continue joke came from.)

You sound kinda mad. Get a new keyboard too xD