Author Topic: The Computer Megathread  (Read 404682 times)

17 x 17 cm?
WHAAAAAAT
I need to see your build. How much did it cost you?

yeah mind linking your build? i might be interested in building something like that.

Its costing me about $1330 NZD. That translates to about $1100 USD, but I think you could do it for $900USD since you get better prices in the US.

I'm yet to buy the CPU or RAM as I wait for funds. I have everything else.

IcyGamma's Gaming Mini-ITX

3.40GHz CPU (4 core Intel i5-3570)
1GB Dedicated Graphics (AMD Radeon HD 7770)
16GB Ram (lol)
1TB Hard Drive
Asus P8Z77-I DELUXE Mini-ITX Motherboard running with 430W PSU (yes, this power supply IS fine wattage, mini-itx handles power better)

INTEL CORE I5 3570 IVY BRIDGE 3.40GHZ 6MB 77W LGA1155  ($285.00 NZD)
Corsair Value 8GBx2 DDR3 1333 PC3-10600 CL9 ($131.76 NZD)
Asus P8Z77-I DELUXE Motherboard ($289.00 NZD)
Seasonic S12II, 430W ATX PSU, Active PFC, SLI Ready, Black ($124.50 NZD)    
Prodigy Mini ITX Computer Case - Black ($135.00 NZD)
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6/GBs ($150.00 NZD)
Asus Radeon HD 7770 1GB ($209.00 NZD)

Can't waittt.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 04:49:22 AM by Sheath »

This case comes in white as well (and strawberry pink and orange according to the site). Its called the Bitfenix Prodigy mini-itx case if you're interested, its the best case you could want for a gaming mini-itx in terms of what you can do with it... often recommended as a good case for a LAN party desktop.
I'd get an orange one, it'd look so good.

Just found out its called Atomic Orange. Notice the white / orange / pink ones don't have the mesh front, only the black for visual reasons. I don't know what that means for the fan that is at the front in the black one.

Not sure about the plain front of it, without the mesh it looks kind of silly.

Yeah I think the mesh, the honeycomb grid, and the shiny metal logo are really central to the case's overall feel. Although the orange does have a cool sort of industrial feel, it could be a really good canvas for decal mods. I can see danger tape around it in my head lolo.

The area between the disk drive and the logo is the bit that annoys me, there's nothing there. Should at the least be a small mesh.

You can actually buy this. It's a custom mod from Performance-PC's. It's $180 xD

Well you picked a quality case then. I wouldn't worry about being "original" because the best cases always attract lots of attention. You aren't going to find a beautiful, premium case that is under-marketed ever.

For my mini-itx gaming machine that I've currently got most of the parts for, I've got this case sitting in my room...

Mac Pro-esk. One of the biggest, and most flexible, mini-itx cases available. I absolutely love eeet, knew I was going to buy one immediately after seeing it. Though its not to everyone's taste.

I'm much more subtle in my approach to computer cases. I like steel, mesh, and / or brushed metal. I'm very demanding about the look of logos and I prefer no windows or LEDs.

Ooo, now that's cool.  I used to have a Mini ATX computer, like 3-4 builds ago.  Was a real cute old model APEVIA box, no windows though.  They're so cool looking but I can't use them anymore since I have bigger GPUs and PSUs.

What intel i5 would be better than my AMD Phenom II X4 970?

budget was 300-400, not just 300. I've found better parts on pricewatch.
I already had it built by the time you said
My budget is also $300
Besides, after MiR the computer is ~$250 so it's loving awesome for the price

What intel i5 would be better than my AMD Phenom II X4 970?
pretty much every recent one
i don't know if you like overclocking or not but the i5 3570/3570k is pretty good
i wouldn't recommend the i5-3450, 3470, 3550 or anything like that because the price difference is too small to justify

Also, if I get a new motherboard and cpu, do I have to buy windows 7 again or just plug my harddrive with windows on it into the new board and it still work?

Also, if I get a new motherboard and cpu, do I have to buy windows 7 again or just plug my harddrive with windows on it into the new board and it still work?
with a copy of oem windows 7 i don't think so
i think you have to contact microsoft or something to activate it for a new system