8 (72.7%)
No
0 (0%)
Could Care Less
0 (0%)
Cool But Not Needed
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Author Topic: Ambient Occlusion(s)  (Read 3894 times)

Ambient Occlusions are basically shadows that are placed around bricks, if you have played the new version of Roblox and you have a good graphics card then you should have seen these already. Ambient Occlusions would make the bricks look better, more detailed and its just something that feels good when enabled.

Idea 1

Once Badspot has enabled Ambient Occlusions for Blockland he can make a separate lucid program that displays your Graphics Card and RAM of your graphics card in the Options menu. For Example (Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 TI 256MB, 512MB or 1GB of Ram...I have 1GB)

There in the options where it would state your graphics card, you will have settings as to enable/disable Ambient Occlusion and how much you want.

Idea 2:

Badspot makes a program that detects how much ram your graphics card has, if it has lower or equal to 256MB of ram then Ambient Occlusions will be disabled or only show if there are only x number amount of bricks. If somebodies computer is not strong enough then the Ambient Occlusion option will be disabled. If you have more ram like 512MB then the Ambient occlusion setting would be enabled but would be set to low by default.

(This option should be disabled by default just for safety)

So pretty much Minecraft style shadows?
That would look nice. But all that fancy crap about saying your system specs is unneeded. Just have a toggle in the options.

I think the only thing that can have ambient occlusions are models.
And mushroom, minecraft styled shadows are based on a cube system, not so much lighting.

The specs were just an example to show how the program would determine wether to enable AO or to disable. Also te shadows are a bit more than MC shadows, like the shadows will appear in corners or on the bottom of bricks when they are next to each other. MC doesnt have too much of AO, BL would have more. I really like using shadow effects so thats ehy in posting this.

I have always wanted brick shadows.

This is genious!

I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before and has been boiled down to needing an Engine Change, which is unlikely.

I do think this would be cool, but I doubt it can be done with the current engine.

I'm pretty sure this has been suggested before and has been boiled down to needing an Engine Change, which is unlikely.

I do think this would be cool, but I doubt it can be done with the current engine.

It has been suggested before.. I knew I'd seen that picture of the dragon somewhere.

It has been suggested before.. I knew I'd seen that picture of the dragon somewhere.

I doubt he meant "Suggested before" as in a topic replication.

I just looked up on google for Ambient Occlusions and got the best ones. I forgot to state if the engine can support AO...or did I? Sorry

You can also notice that the bricks in the server previews have shadows on them, maybe AOs are possible?

shadows would take a long time to do like the preview window, those shots are rendered over the time your server is running.  AO wasn't considered for the game because the effect is expensive as stuff.  Also, it usually looks terrible in games because it ends up shading every sing corner even if it's receiving a ton of light, that doesn't happen in real life.