Turning terrain block in global sphere

Author Topic: Turning terrain block in global sphere  (Read 3612 times)

We all know Reactor Worker. The one who made the planets map, and yet another blocko planets map. We know that he wanted to do something which was impossible. Reactor Worker wanted to do something with the terrain block. I still don't know what but... since that I found a guy on YouTube and GarageGames that turned a level or terrain block into a global sphere level. Atmosphere effects, water, gravity. Anything you can dream of.

The terrain block is turned into a sphere. It's 30 miles in diameter. He made it in Torque Game Engine, and here is the question: Is this possible to do this in Blockland?

Known problems are that a player fall off. But yet again, Bill Vee has made that the player stays attached to the planet with gravity. If we ever want to make something like this in Blockland, the bricks needs to be rotated with the sphere.

Ideas
Some of you may ask, what do we need with this? The answer is simple: This makes world wars in servers releastic. Now you know that you can conquer the server with your team.

There may also be questions: Isn't the map too big for Blockland? The answer, no. Because you need a lot of freedom in a server with something like that.

More ideas
- Day and Night cycle
- Realistic clouds, water and sky
- Atmosphere color effect during Day and Night cycle
- Rivers
- Animating hurricanes, earthquakes (only on the center of the planet)

Here is a video, looks awesome.
Another video, relaxed music.
Again another video, with water reflection and atmosphere effects.

Another question: Will this work on Blockland? Yes it will.

Red/purple dot = player
Dark red square = 64x64 base plate
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:07:12 AM by Antares »

I thought the planets map were just interior objects?

I think Badspot needs to update the engine first.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:02:27 AM by Lørd Tøny »

The planets from Reactor, in his old maps, were DTS spheres. Inside them was a half sphere with flat ground to build.

Interesting concept, and I'd really love to see this.
I doubt it will be done though...

Interesting concept, and I'd really love to see this.
I doubt it will be done though...
The one who made the global sphere planet has done this in Torque Game Engine. Blockland is using Torque Game Engine too. If Badspot will plant this into Blockland, he has to edit the player camera. That it only rotate if you're on the planet.

I think Badspot needs to update the engine first.
Engine hasn't anything to do with it. Bill has made this on 1.5.2 I believe. You don't need anything to upgrade. It only takes up 50 mb.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 07:17:08 AM by Antares »

This must happen. The waterblocks would be such a bitch though.

This must happen. The waterblocks would be such a bitch though.
Waterblocks has also been turned in sphere block according to the video.

I see a problem with building.

I see a problem with building.
You can build on the slopes, right?

Yes, but no point on the slopes would you be building at a 90 degree angle..

How big of a circle we are talking about here? People are going to get sick if it's too small.

Engine hasn't anything to do with it.
It very much has to do with the engine. Several large edits would need to be made.
The amount of work necessary is probably too much for just a neat effect on a few maps.

How big of a circle we are talking about here? People are going to get sick if it's too small.
It's 30 miles in diameters. Which is huge.

It's 30 miles in diameters. Which is huge.

How big is that in Blockland and how long would it take to wrap around?

Also wouldn't that mean people would be walking upside down without falling, how is that possible in Blockland and how will it work wit the brick grid?
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 10:12:10 AM by Lørd Tøny »