Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 434696 times)

Yes. -- kompressor
A post by kompressor was by kompressor? Habit? :D

I wonder if we will see more water based tdms instead of dogfights after the update...

Hark! What hero stands on yon streetlamp?
Building on left makes me think of bounce lighting. Will such a thing be added?

I wonder if we will see more water based tdms instead of dogfights after the update...

We can still build ships in water maps so maybe we'll some proper dogfights. Just got to find someone who's good at building aircraft carriers.

A post by kompressor was by kompressor? Habit? :D

Or automatically added?

I noticed that the title says "shadows and shaders", but all of the discussion has been about shadows, solely. What does this mean, will we see functionality for some neato shaders? Possibly fx bricks with different kinds of shader properties? Bump mapped stud textures? Elaborate?

We discussed shaders before, but he wouldn't give us much answer. I'm sure it's because he's still working out the whole system and won't make any promises as of yet, not to mention the questions that would come with a response.

We can still build ships in water maps so maybe we'll some proper dogfights. Just got to find someone who's good at building aircraft carriers.
We have a ton of aircraft carrier experience over at ScatteredSpace..

Also, I'm confused about how shadows will work if there are two light sources, one dynamic and one the map's light. What would happen? Would the shadows behave like real life?

We have a ton of aircraft carrier experience over at ScatteredSpace..

Also, I'm confused about how shadows will work if there are two light sources, one dynamic and one the map's light. What would happen? Would the shadows behave like real life?

I believe he doesn't plan yet to make any light source other than the map cast shadows, but has not entirely ruled out the eventual possibility of a few shadow casters.

I believe he doesn't plan yet to make any light source other than the map cast shadows, but has not entirely ruled out the eventual possibility of a few shadow casters.

ALL shadows come from the sun currently

This looks so goddamn lovey.  a few days and the community is set on fire.  Unfortunately, the community will become like how it was waiting for v20.

Hark! What hero stands on yon streetlamp?

Plates don't cast shadows? What about two plates? Or the minimum stack height to cast a shadow is 3 plates/1 brick?

Plates don't cast shadows? What about two plates? Or the minimum stack height to cast a shadow is 3 plates/1 brick?
The pitch of the light-source is really steep. That's why you can't see the shadows cast by the plates.

kompressor, more screen shots please!!