Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 428237 times)

Starting to work on kitchen build now gotta go before its gone.

Wait, are you guys getting rid of just terrain, or the whole .DTS format?

there only getting rid of terrain as far as I know. basically all .mis, .ter, .dif files.

which are the files inside maps.

Will we be able to write our own shaders (E.g. bloom and color filters) and enable/disable them mid-game?

If the whole .dts format would be gone that would mean loving up Add-Ons.

Kompressor stated in previous post that this will not influence any other files than maps.

So no, Add-Ons won't be forgeted and .dts will still be supported.

im just saying, removing interiors and terrains with put A HUGE curve on the game and the way people play it. it might make the game take a turn for the worse.. maybe not,  its a tough call. and will we still be able to make maps? if so, with what programs? and i suggest having a blockland classic, so we still have all the old features of maps, because as a map maker, im quite upset by this.

To be honest I think this update will split the Blockland community in a way that the Retail release did.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
DONT GO TERRAIN

I still have a folder of the old v20 release

Will we be able to write our own shaders (E.g. bloom and color filters) and enable/disable them mid-game?

This has been answered already, also this post will probably be deleted for answering someones question. again.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:44:40 AM by Khepri »

To be honest I think this update will split the Blockland community in a way that the Retail release did.
How would it?  Everyone will have to use the current version, unless they refuse to shut down blockland.

im just saying, removing interiors and terrains with put A HUGE curve on the game and the way people play it. it might make the game take a turn for the worse.. maybe not,  its a tough call. and will we still be able to make maps? if so, with what programs? and i suggest having a blockland classic, so we still have all the old features of maps, because as a map maker, im quite upset by this.
If you think the simple removal of maps will ruin the game then something has already been wrong. Maps should not have such a drastic affect on the game that the inclusion our absence of them determines the game play value. If you still want to contribute to the community (which is a great thing) perhaps you could learn to code or figure out innovative ways to play with the new system.

I doubt it. Give modders enough time and they'll have substitutes for those who miss these old interiors. Obviously not in the same way but it's still better than nothing!

Someone posted about this but anywas, can you create 2 options in the game? One for the shaders and the other for the terrain. If shaders get disabled then you have the option of enabling terrain. But if shadong is enabled then the option for terrain is disabled.

If you do this you would also have to add a property for online servers called "Terrain". This checks if a player that is trying to join a server with terrain has terrain enabled, if not then a mssg would come up saying he needs to enable it to join the gane
A system like this is just working backwards. You sometimes have to force people in the right direction but in the end trust me the whole community will eventually learn to like the new system.

I'm the case of those who can't run shaders and feel they are simply being degraded by the loss of maps, even my laptop can run this. As started in OP it's very cheap to upgrade to a card that can run Blockland. Perhaps someone could make a list beforehand of low end cheap cards that will be able to run Blockland with shaders as to give you guys some time to save?

Sorry for any spelling mistakes I'm mobile.

:c
"Interiors, it has been a pleasure playing on you tonight."