Author Topic: 2012/02/05 - Shadows and Shaders vs. Interiors and Terrain [Fan Art Too]  (Read 425254 times)

i personally hate terrain with a burning passion because that's ALL people seem to use

i mean, nobody builds stuff ON the terrain. they usually put bases here and there, then use the natural features of the terrain to pick up whatever slack their laziness has left

though vehicle code might need some optimization for brick collisions. i smell bullet physics
having to hop over everything in a new lego minecraft would be lame. besides my own awesome servers (save it for my topic), there were so many good ones hosted on terrain.

having to hop over everything in a new lego minecraft would be lame. besides my own awesome servers (save it for my topic), there were so many good ones hosted on terrain.

That's a good point. What if there was a set of smooth terrain bricks?

I don't understand, what will become of hilly maps like the slopes?

I don't understand, what will become of hilly maps like the slopes?
Yeah this?

That's a good point. What if there was a set of smooth terrain bricks?
i would enjoy that. maybe some kind of terrain to save thing, or a brick terrain repeater (would save memory when saved(just repeat), but bricks could not be deleted on it)

Terrain will be removed. Slopes will cease to exist.

Kompresor, I love you. I really do.

If you include one more change for me in this update, I will personally write you a $100 check.

I PM'd this to Badspot, but you've actually modified things in the past on my behalf and I'm confident you'll like this idea:

In CityRPG, there are dynamic skies. This works by deleting the old sky and creating a new one. However, if the latency for a client is too big and the game re-renders after receiving the delete packet but before receiving the new sky packet, the game will crash because there is no sky.

If you make it so that creating a new sky will overwrite the existing one and change all modified properties automatically, again, I will personally send you $100 over whatever payment method you please and will do so happily.

Attached image for motivation:
http://i.imgur.com/We96f.jpg

i would enjoy that. maybe some kind of terrain to save thing, or a brick terrain repeater (would save memory when saved(just repeat), but bricks could not be deleted on it)

I think that some sort of way to have a good brick terrain in a world is a possibility after shadows are solid.

If you make it so that creating a new sky will overwrite the existing one and change all modified properties automatically, again, I will personally send you $100 over whatever payment method you please and will do so happily.

We have been considering something like this.

We have been considering something like this.
Please, please, please.

Since basicly all maps that are in existance (exept for slate edits) will be removed, will the team make default maps with different themes to them?

Disable shadows on terrain
Make draw distance super close when near terrain
make a copy of all default maps with use terrain or interiors incase they will be supported with shadows shaders

I'm kind of inbetween opinions on this. On one hand, actual TERRAIN gives an easy way to have great environments to build on without having to craft every single bit of the world with bricks. On the OTHER hand, those pictures look amazing.