5 (2%)
Agnostic  
32 (12.6%)
Jewish
3 (1.2%)
Other
26 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 252

Author Topic: Religious Views?  (Read 19813 times)

1x1040,000 is the odds of life arising by random chance. 1x1080 is the number of atoms in the know universe. It's not going to happen. If any of the forces such as nuclear weak and strong forces, gravity, or electromagnetism were off by a fraction of a percent, the universe would not be liveable.

Im Christian and not every Christian is a annoying preacher shoving things into peoples faces. That just seems like an excuse for people to not like Christians when in fact more of their friends could be Christians and they don't even mention it
this man speaks the truth.

Im Christian and not every Christian is a annoying preacher shoving things into peoples faces. That just seems like an excuse for people to not like Christians when in fact more of their friends could be Christians and they don't even mention it

>Would rather see their friends burn in Hell then make them uncomfortable.

Cult of Cthulhu

I stopped believing in Christianity years ago when it ceased making sense. Then I lost my sanity and went to the only religion that accepted me.

If any of the forces such as nuclear weak and strong forces, gravity, or electromagnetism were off by a fraction of a percent, the universe would not be liveable.
Isn't nature just wonderful that way?

This actually ironic because I doubt that you know that he's making that face at a stupid religious statement that O'Reilly made.

1x1040,000 is the odds of life arising by random chance. 1x1080 is the number of atoms in the know universe. It's not going to happen. If any of the forces such as nuclear weak and strong forces, gravity, or electromagnetism were off by a fraction of a percent, the universe would not be liveable.
A universe without the weak nuclear force could perhaps form the same universe.

Also, this argument is really backwards. First, life developed around the properties of nature, and that makes the argument circular because life would have developed around its circumstances. Second, if we are amazed at "just how perfect" the Earth is for us, we obviously miss how the Earth is far from perfect. Although conditions on Earth are generally ideal for the life living on it now, there are still some flaws which keep it from being anywhere near perfect.

Life could have had many possibilities just as the light bulb has many possibilities to run today, some more feasible than others. If you think about it, the life we have today is actually pretty flawed: that thing called mutations, which both hurt and help species to both die out and survive. Just as the light bulb has many possibilities to produce the same outcome of light, there are many different conditions under which life could produce the same output as we see on our planet right now.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:36:31 PM by Kalphiter »

This actually ironic because I doubt that you know that he's making that face at a stupid religious statement that O'Reilly made.
A universe without the weak nuclear force could perhaps form the same universe.

Also, this argument is really backwards. First, life developed around the properties of nature, and that makes the argument circular because life would have developed around its circumstances. Second, if we are amazed at "just how perfect" the Earth is for us, we obviously miss how the Earth is far from perfect. Although conditions on Earth are generally ideal for the life living on it now, there are still some flaws which keep it from being anywhere near perfect.

Life could have had many possibilities just as the light bulb has many possibilities to run today, some more feasible than others. If you think about it, the life we have today is actually pretty flawed: that thing called mutations, which both hurt and help species to both die out and survive. Just as the light bulb has many possibilities to produce the same outcome of light, there are many different conditions under which life could produce the same output as we see on our planet right now.
You said that better than I could have :c

Actually, I did know that

I stopped believing in Christianity years ago when it ceased making sense.
Implying it ever made sense

evolution is impossible.
Can you support this argument with something other than "THA BAHBLE TOLD ME SO" ?

Note: I am not calling all Christians idiots
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:52:29 PM by Mr. Jelly »

Implying it ever made sense
Can you support this argument with something other than "THA BAHBLE TOLD ME SO" ?
“The belief that life on earth arose spontaneously from non-living matter, is simply a matter of faith in strict reductionism and is based entirely on ideology.”

The reason Atheist and Christians argue over this is ridiculous. There is no need to because I see no need of defending something scientifically if it's basis is purely faith alone. So in short nobody should really be arguing in the first place if they actually KNEW the points of both sides.

Evolution - a scientific approach on the origin of life

Christianity - a faith based approach on the origin of life

I can't pretend that I know where the first life originated from. There are holes in all scientific theories, and science is working to fill in these holes.
Filling the holes with God is not the answer.

Plus that does nothing to disprove all the evidence there is.

I can't pretend that I know where the first life originated from. There are holes in all scientific theories, and science is working to fill in these holes.

I wasn't trying to disprove anything you dumbass, the point flew way over your head. Evolution is no doubt widely accepted and used, but it still classifys as a theory. Same goes for Christianity.

Spread of disease?
God's doing it, we won't be able to figure it out.