Author Topic: ■ The Photography Megathread ■  (Read 242782 times)

First of all, "selfie" is a very new term that doesn't go beyond vernacular. Who cares what people label a photo as? And you can go on and on about what you took it with and how much editing you did, but that doesn't matter in the slightest. A picture you take of yourself is a picture you take of yourself.

It's a bullstuff word. You're over thinking it.

On another note, the photo could use some work. You eyes aren't in focus. Your nose is. I also dislike the hard shadows created by (what I assume is) the on camera flash. The framing seems a bit sloppy and that thing on the wall to the right is distracting.

Edit* Is there a reason you're using a 24-85mm lens? Not judging... it's just a pretty tight focal range on a crop sensor camera.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 01:39:34 PM by Bones4 »

I agree about the eyes, but to be fair, it's pretty hard to get your eyes in focus unless you have a flip-around screen.

That's true, but I'd rather go through trial and error than choose one that doesn't satisfy me. I've used inanimate objects to focus on, then I'll just remove the object and place my face where they were. Seems to work. That's how I get my water drips in focus. I'll place a ruler across the bowl of water, focus on it, remove it, and drop some water as I release the shutter

Also, unrelated:

It's a bullstuff word. You're over thinking it.

Yeah, I'm trying not to, but it's only a thought haha

I also hadn't considered using a different object to gain focus, either. I'll have to try that next time, it's very clever, thankyou!

Reading back over what I wrote, it's painfully obvious how pretentious that all sounded haha

Also like the second photo, Bones. Something about the colours in the brickwork, and contrast on the white paint.
Gorgeous textures.

That's true, but I'd rather go through trial and error than choose one that doesn't satisfy me. I've used inanimate objects to focus on, then I'll just remove the object and place my face where they were. Seems to work. That's how I get my water drips in focus. I'll place a ruler across the bowl of water, focus on it, remove it, and drop some water as I release the shutter

Also, unrelated:

Yeah, that's a useful focusing method, I do that myself sometimes. I guess the whole "eyes focused or not" comes back to the selfie vs self portrait discussion. :P

Nice symmetry in that first one, Bones. I need to get out and shoot like you do, I pretty much shoot stuff in or around my property. :/

Thank you. I wish I would have closed the aperture a bit, but oh well.

Were you not going for a small DOF? I guess that makes sense, as it is still scenery photography.

I was going for a small DOF, but maybe not THAT small

I reedited this one:

And this one

Never uploaded this one. It's oooold

Old but good. I like it when a photo really makes you think about what it is your looking at. ;)

Nikkor 50mm 1.8G, Nikkor 50mm 1.4G, or Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX?

Nikkor 50mm 1.8G, Nikkor 50mm 1.4G, or Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX?

Definitely the Sigma, it's a small step for the .4 but you'll get slightly better performance but better quality as well with the Sigma.

This was to replace a Nikkor 50 1.8D. I ordered a 1.8G.

The Sigma 1.4 was said to be horribly soft with AF issues and the nikkor 1.4 is also said to be soft, but with slow AF.

I prefer sharp. And 1.4 is a small difference from 1.8

This was to replace a Nikkor 50 1.8D. I ordered a 1.8G.

The Sigma 1.4 was said to be horribly soft with AF issues and the nikkor 1.4 is also said to be soft, but with slow AF.

I prefer sharp. And 1.4 is a small difference from 1.8

I don't know how I didn't realize but I'm pretty sure we have the same lens, I have a Nikkor 50mm 1.8G as well.

We will once this one is delivered. Got a 58mm tiffen variable neutral density filter for it also.