Author Topic: ■ The Photography Megathread ■  (Read 242816 times)

HDR fun times
protip dont use hdr if it's not gonna be useful for the situation

I feel like I'll be lynched for posting a sunset photo but it was pretty crazy tonight. The sky looked like hell and the wind was throwing branches off of trees.

P1090782 by TophatC, on Flickr

protip dont use hdr if it's not gonna be useful for the situation
I'm well aware but it was hella useful for finishing my school assignment lol.

That's awesome Brick! I only wish you could've captured it when the sun was a wee bit higher in the sky.

Took a bunch of photos today. Here's a set of "vinyl" CDs I got at a garage sale, perfect for photos. All taken with a Nikon D50, standard 18-55mm lens.

Here's some photos I took with them.

Also got a bunch of normal CD's:

The rest of the photos.

Sheesh, I'm taking a lot of photos these days... Took these ones yesterday. Still surprised at how close I can focus and the small DOF I can achieve with my 18-55mm lens. :o

I'll probably end up re-taking this one, didn't focus where I wanted it to (I forgot it wouldn't focus on the glass, whoops).

damn bluetooth
makes me want to go out and buy a better camera than the crappy canon powershot i have

I just ordered my Nikon D600. Stoked.

I just ordered my Nikon D600. Stoked.
ughhhhhh why would you be thinking about a D800 and then settle for a D600.

Should've at least bought my D700 ;)

Photography!

ughhhhhh why would you be thinking about a D800 and then settle for a D600.

Should've at least bought my D700 ;)

What's wrong with the d600? The d800 is overkill (and out of my budget). The d700 is becoming outdated in many ways.

Nothing's wrong with the D600, I just strongly prefer the D700. The biggest things it has going for it is it feels absolutely indestructible (and probably is, I've dropped mine from waist height onto pavement with only a slightly scratch on the lens casing for damage), handles better (meaning, buttons and such in better places and a large viewfinder) and the AF system is incredibly fast, faster and more accurate than the D600 by very noticeable amounts.

I've handled my friend's D600 and it just didn't click with me. It's a fine camera, but if I had to buy a full frame under two grand I'd still go for the D700 over the 600.

That said, I'm selling my D700 for the D800 because I want to make large, sharp prints and I need a video capable DSLR for a class in the fall, so uh, if anyone's interested in a full frame camera for relatively cheap, shoot me a message.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 10:12:40 AM by Sirrus »

I don't use video and I need more than 12 mp. I'm also going to be living in the middle east for 6 months and a smaller, lighter camera is a plus. Those places are VERY strict. I've been using a D7000 and the layout is mostly the same as the D600. I love it.

It's all opinion. lol

I won't choose a hefty body with older electronics over current technology in a still good enough body
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 10:35:57 AM by Bones4 »

damn bluetooth
makes me want to go out and buy a better camera than the crappy canon powershot i have
Beleive it or not, I could take most of those pictures with a Powershot, no problem. I'm only using a D50, pretty old camera, so many point 'n shoots are catching up to it nowadays. However, often the camera model doesn't even matter much. You just have to know your camera and what you're doing. I took a two semester photography class a year ago, it helped me immensely.

It looks like your white balance could use fine tuning on some of those

It looks like your white balance could use fine tuning on some of those
To whom dost thou speak?

a few more pictures i took on powershot
i realised that these pictures are loving /massive/. click to see full resolution