Author Topic: Mayday is a bunch of goddamn liars.  (Read 1859 times)

A few years back, my mother got a survival kit and stuck it in the car. My brother and I re-discovered it and found the survival ration and water packets. The water was crap, it tasted like plastic and we wondered if it was actually meant for survival rather than plastic poisoning.

As for the ration...

Total of 2400 calories. The packaging claims it's separated into 6 portions of 400 calories each. "Apple Cinnamon" flavor.

The part about separation? See for yourself.

What a load of bullstuff. That is NOT separated at all. My brother also tried to break off a corner, causing it to explode into a million pieces and dust, like that one part in The Mummy (does that actually happen? Never saw that movie).

The only thing left to do was to eat it.

This was much more of a science experiment than anything else. It's the equivalent of eating slightly flavored sawdust. I understand it's meant for survival, but DAMN. They could have tried to make it more palatable. It didn't taste BAD; the "apple cinnamon" was definitely there, albeit very faint. Case in point: This was quite possibly the smartest idea ever. Don't do this at home. It's not pleasant.

The only way to eat this is in small bites. Density and dryness do NOT go together. If you take too large of a bite, you WILL coughgagchokesuffocate, and it will HURT LIKE stuff. Dunking it in water sort of solves the crumbling problem, but doesn't solve the inner dryness at all.

well it IS a few years old
granted it probably should've lasted longer than that but oh well, i guess

It could be possible that it's only like that because of age
Of course, it was probably designed to not turn into fossil dust after a few years
But I don't know

I've eaten this before, just because it was lying around the house.
I don't like it, but it isn't terrible. :I

well, gotta eat dirt and clay, so atleast this isn't a problem

Well, based on reviews around the net, everyone else has had the crumbling problem too. It's also sealed in foil/plastic or something like that, so I assume it should be airtight.

My main gripe wasn't the taste, or even the crap texture (though that was a big turn-off). It was the 6 portions thing. That stuff was a single, dense block of...something.

MRE's > all

I want to get my hands on some, but they're expensive. ):

When it comes to ration packs I much prefer M.O.D issue, much better than any civilian stuff you get.

where the forget is bones4 coming in boasting about his meals

Sir, I think I found your problem.

It should have longer shelf-life, though.

Genuine U.S. Military issue MRE's > all

?????