Author Topic: Modding: Its limitations, what is abusable, and why I hate the launcher  (Read 9426 times)

In some modification discussion topic people were talking about a script you can add to stuff that will ramp up the speed of projectiles past 200.
Yes, you can teleport the object but it will look jumpy.

Over many accounts, Iban :cookieMonster:
I had my doubts due to him not remembering what he had written in one of his own articles, but it makes sense now.

Anyway, this is another one of these topics where someone intelligent spends a lot of time putting together a sensible op but non-modders don't actually understand what they're saying and the topic dies very quickly
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:07:39 PM by Treynolds416 »

I'm pretty sure there used to be a Projectile::setVelocity(%vel) method, but that was removed because it allowed projectiles to go over the 200 velocity cap.

Code: [Select]
function Projectile::onAdd(%obj)
{
%obj.initialVelocity = vectorScale(vectorNormalize(%obj.initialvelocity), 2000);

parent::onAdd(%obj);
}
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:16:18 PM by Lunatic »

I have always disliked the launcher being a separate entity from the game, the main reason that a relaunch from a crash always results in an error telling me to use the launcher and that the launcher actually downloading every file, even though i never specified that i wanted that to happen. People are going to hate me, but we need a system like minecraft's launcher. Their launcher is a part of the game, if you open the game the launcher starts. The launcher allows you to force update optionally, instead of downloading essential files every time. Of course, it still does have offline unfunctionality, but blockland has me copy+paste my key every 2/3 times because it's stuffty at authenticating. the other 1/3 times it just fails to connect to the master server. I could over look that if i didn't have to wait a few seconds every time i have to reopen the game, but i don't because i do.

M's profile picture blew up my
Artery

The launcher allows you to force update optionally, instead of downloading essential files every time.
That would be neat. Then if anyone has a problem it is still easy to just tell them to click the force update button, but for those who don't want to lose stuff they can just not do it.

The best way to do this would be an advanced option that allows you to disable forced updates by directory. For example, if you need to fix a problem, but would rather not re-install custom textures, you can just enable everything except for the ui folder.

Amazing topic.

You can bypass the launcher very easily, but naturally, that's not it's main purpose so I won't make a topic on it. (I don't wanna be banned for friends bypassing it and then being all "omg v21 is out, where is my updaet?")

What about this for client sided positions: Banned on all servers except those that specify that you can.
Oh, you can get positions of players client side still, but again, that's another one of those things that you just don't want to do, am I right?

You can bypass the launcher very easily, but naturally, that's not it's main purpose so I won't make a topic on it.

Oh, you can get positions of players client side still, but again, that's another one of those things that you just don't want to do, am I right?
I imagine that both of those things are hacky workarounds that will never be as good as being actually supported.

I imagine that both of those things are hacky workarounds that will never be as good as being actually supported.
launcher bypass is as easy as starting a dedicated (stuff i've said too much) and getting positions of players is as easy as it was before. it's definitely a workaround though.

oh, and to be clear, don't start loving pming me about how to bypass the launcher. i won't tell you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 11:22:50 PM by Lugnut »

I defiantly think that there needs to be support to change shapename on players frankly I'm fine with the launcher and client sided position tracking

Badspot wont do anything for anybody that doesn't immediately increase the game's glamour to 10 year olds. You're wasting your breath, both of you.
We're constantly breathing and none of us are speaking. We're typing and we don't care whether or not you think we're wasting time. It's not your time we're wasting anyways. In fact, you've just wasted time responding to a subject you clearly have not a care for.

We're constantly breathing and none of us are speaking. We're typing and we don't care whether or not you think we're wasting time. It's not your time we're wasting anyways. In fact, you've just wasted time responding to a subject you clearly have not a care for.
Jeez, you used to be extremely chill. Now you're all worked up over semantics like distinguishing between "breathing" and "typing". LOL

You're wasting your time because this, like all other "wow I wish Blockland supported development" topics before it, will accomplish nothing.

It's not that I don't care. If I didn't care, I would not post. But I do care. I would love to see new stuff. I'd love to see more toys to make add-ons with. I'd love to see something, anything, that even remotely hinted that Badspot still cared about the add-on developers. But he doesn't. He hasn't for years.

You're wasting your time
That's nice. I have a lot of time to waste, nor did I care if I were ever wasting it. You're the one caring about all the wasted time.

Jeez, you used to be extremely chill. Now you're all worked up over semantics like distinguishing between "breathing" and "typing". LOL

You're wasting your time because this, like all other "wow I wish Blockland supported development" topics before it, will accomplish nothing.

It's not that I don't care. If I didn't care, I would not post. But I do care. I would love to see new stuff. I'd love to see more toys to make add-ons with. I'd love to see something, anything, that even remotely hinted that Badspot still cared about the add-on developers. But he doesn't. He hasn't for years.
Yup. Thats Iban.

Yup. Thats Iban.
He even made it easy by posting in a speedtest thread revealing his relative location.