Author Topic: Bot events 2  (Read 10682 times)

not really... majority of the code is just linking the functions to the events and making default functions apply to bots.
So uh, you want to scrap all that?

So uh, you want to scrap all that?
no i'm saying that the core functions for bot events don't actually take up them majority of the code. the whole thing isn't a complete mess of AI pathing, complex math, or trig calculations.

a "lot of stuff" is in the existing mod, but it's also a lot of stuff that doesn't take long at all to incorporate into a new bot events.

it's much better to make a new mod (ie slayer) than slap on a couple of patches to try to hold together something broken(ie TDM), especially if the mod is no longer being support by the author.

VCE is an example of a mod done right to work with other mods. it works with slayer and TDM and can be used for both. mod authors can easily register values for VCE without the mod author having to update support for every mod out there.

Slayer is an example of a mod done right. other modders can add gamemodes and extend the functions the mod has. It attempts to support dated mods that worked for TDM. The new versions do not break everything, and it still actively updated and patched.

of course a new bot events would be great, but if no one is up for that someone should fix the existing bot events so that they aren't a threat to the people who use them.

Finally someone that agrees with me.

The bot events we have right now are pretty crappy..

Do you guys even know that bot events break the spawn times on vehicle spawns?

We need a new bot mod!!

bump, we really need this.

I sent Amade (creator of bot events) a pm long ago about fixing bot events up but it seems he hasn't bothered replying.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:20:27 PM by Fob »

Should i?
yes please, i am in need of a redone bot events that has almost no critical bugs such as;
  • bots loosing their appearance and overall not working as they should when the owner is not in the server
  • bots changing into strange colours when playertype is change (e.g changing a bot into a battle droid screws up their colours)
  • bots node parts sometimes disappearing when applying an av with /applyav (i'm not 100% sure if this is has to do with other add-ons that might corrupt bot events from doing this correctly)

there are probably a lot more bugs, but i would be really happy if you could remake bot events for the people who encounter these problems whilst making large projects that require bot events :cookie:

How you wanna crash a server with a bot
wrtf
>onBotDetectEnemy - Self - respawnVehicle

yes please, i am in need of a redone bot events that has almost no critical bugs such as;
  • bots loosing their appearance and overall not working as they should when the owner is not in the server
  • bots changing into strange colours when playertype is change (e.g changing a bot into a battle droid screws up their colours)
  • bots node parts sometimes disappearing when applying an av with /applyav (i'm not 100% sure if this is has to do with other add-ons that might corrupt bot events from doing this correctly)

there are probably a lot more bugs, but i would be really happy if you could remake bot events for the people who encounter these problems whilst making large projects that require bot events :cookie:

If i do it, there wont be any handicapped slash coommands and stuff, it would be done correctly.

no i'm saying that the core functions for bot events don't actually take up them majority of the code. the whole thing isn't a complete mess of AI pathing, complex math, or trig calculations.

a "lot of stuff" is in the existing mod, but it's also a lot of stuff that doesn't take long at all to incorporate into a new bot events.

it's much better to make a new mod (ie slayer) than slap on a couple of patches to try to hold together something broken(ie TDM), especially if the mod is no longer being support by the author.

VCE is an example of a mod done right to work with other mods. it works with slayer and TDM and can be used for both. mod authors can easily register values for VCE without the mod author having to update support for every mod out there.

Slayer is an example of a mod done right. other modders can add gamemodes and extend the functions the mod has. It attempts to support dated mods that worked for TDM. The new versions do not break everything, and it still actively updated and patched.

of course a new bot events would be great, but if no one is up for that someone should fix the existing bot events so that they aren't a threat to the people who use them.
I wasn't suggesting that. I was suggesting that you take the parts that aren't broken and use them, and completely rewrite everything else.

We need an updated bot events mod. One that does not crash servers and break game features.

some ideas:
Slayer support would be neat. Having team bots that are able to stand on and capture the capture points.
A GUI that allows you to pick bot uniforms, or an event that sets them to a slayer team's uniform.
Bot inventory where they can hold multiple items with events to pick which slot to use, or a free to use AI option.
Bots can use vehicle turrets.
setbottransform (is this already done?)
VCE modify bots (is this already done?)
Bots can open doors  (is this already done?)

i'm also completely disappointed with how RTB can keep up a mod that not only breaks default features (onplayertouch), but also allows players to crash other players' servers within a matter of seconds.
It's only a matter of time before Ephi arrives..

Also if you wrench the bot's spawn and close it it kills the bot's colors.

If bot events are redone, I'd like it so that the events and such at least have the same names, or whatever it is that needs to be done so that if I loaded a build with the old bot events on it, I wouldn't have to completely re-event the build.

If bot events are redone, I'd like it so that the events and such at least have the same names, or whatever it is that needs to be done so that if I loaded a build with the old bot events on it, I wouldn't have to completely re-event the build.
yeah that would be pretty cool, but at the moment i'd just want a more stable bot events

/support
Even though I didn't know the first was broken till today.