Author Topic: 2012/07/24 - Environmental Controls Preview  (Read 223176 times)

Actually I can't wait till they're gone. Before I knew they were going and even after, I mostly avoided servers that used any terrain and interior maps that weren't slate. There were a few exceptions but no need to go into those details.

MUST you post an attachment picture on EVERYTHING you post?

Ok calm the forget down. Nothing happens if you say i want v21 or something for example.

Just shut your mouth and wait for it.

No offense.

because nobody knows how to use terrain to any effect beyond making long stretches of land look more interesting when you're flying over it

actually, i'm not sure if there is a use for them besides facilitating dogfights

skis, large scale servers, providing a use for vehicles, limitless world, low resource cost. they look ugly but they're 10x as effective as bricks if you want to go big.

interiors don't really do anything except "i'm lego and i am building in a human world". the only thing cool would be that you could make your room or something out of them and build in it.

Vehicles are bad at the moment anyways. They're also not getting fixed till the code is less complicated (aka, till terrains and interiors are removed)
Limitless is a lie, as well as it being as limitless as the new 'single map'.
I've seen many large scale servers without terrains. Pretty fun too.

omg Omg OMG THATS AMAZING :D

Shadows and Shaders will make every garfeld clan app look good.

Vehicles are bad at the moment anyways. They're also not getting fixed till the code is less complicated (aka, till terrains and interiors are removed)
Limitless is a lie, as well as it being as limitless as the new 'single map'.
I've seen many large scale servers without terrains. Pretty fun too.
how are they not limitless?

large scale works on bricks depending on what you're looking to do. a large scale interior only base works, as well as any kind of islands. if i was to make a large hilly plain, how would you suggest i close it off (cant have it loop forever)?

how are they not limitless?
The further you go, the fewer decimal places you have. Torque only handles 6 digits.
You go to X 4000, you only get 4xxx.xx. You go to X 400000, you only get 4xxxxx, you go to X 40000000, you only get 4xxxxx00

Besides, even if it were limitless, it's the same thing over and over again. Whenever I'm on a server that just uses a wide stretch of looping terrain I actually navigate myself by how many times I've seen that same hill.

Close it off by having mountains too high for the player to scale, or other impassable features like limiting how long they can swim.

I saved back up the all old maps, In case they will lost forever!

i wish there was a brick terrain system. working with large amounts of brick terrain is just ugly and it wastes resources

i wish there was a brick terrain system. working with large amounts of brick terrain is just ugly and it wastes resources

with some engine changes huge .blb bricks, with improved collision over .dif terrain, that are premade in maps such as "desert" "hills" and "snowy mountain" could be possible

that doesn't sound right. i'm talking about taking a "terrain" save and just looping it endlessly. or with chunk support for sometimes different variations

"hey guise v21 comes out on Dec. 22, too bad we won't be around to enjoy it!"