Author Topic: (Model request) Katamari Ball  (Read 967 times)

The rumble gamemode gave me an idea. I would've used the default ball model, but it's too small (scaling it up causes scary collision issues), so this model needs to be pretty big (about triple to 5x the size of the default ball model will do (the normal ball is 6.8 torque units in diameter, or 34 plates tall)). It should look like this:

However, please make it colorshift by using 100% trans on the main part of the ball and lower trans on the stubs. Please also make the stubs slightly less prominent than they appear in the image and do not include them in the collision mesh, since even a basic sphere is problematic enough without complications. The collision mesh should be slightly larger than the ball, not including the stubs.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:01:29 PM by Amade »

How's this? 600 triangles.

any way you can avoid that funny clipping with the lumps? try use an iso_sphere with face big enough to hold the whole of the lumps.

I could do it like I did a roller mine but the smooth shading would look absolutely terrible.

any way you can avoid that funny clipping with the lumps? try use an iso_sphere with face big enough to hold the whole of the lumps.
I don't think it will be that noticeable.

How's this? 600 triangles.
(image)
I like that one a lot. Is 600 triangles a lot though?

I don't think it will be that noticeable.
I like that one a lot. Is 600 triangles a lot though?
Perhaps a little on the heavy side but I assume you will only have one of these spawned? It shouldn't be too bad. I could cut a few hundred triangles by using hexagon based spheres but you lose some definition on the bumps. 440 triangles which is acceptable.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:48:41 PM by Demian »

Perhaps a little on the heavy side but I assume you will only have one of these spawned? It shouldn't be too bad. I could cut a few hundred triangles by using hexagon based spheres but you lose some definition on the bumps. 480 triangles which is acceptable.
(Image)
That still looks great. How big is it?

That still looks great. How big is it?
Any size you want it to be. Spheres scale remarkably well.

It seems that the ball vehicle is scaled in the script since the model is 3.87 Torque units in diameter.

Any size you want it to be. Spheres scale remarkably well.
Could you send one over that's 20 units in diameter?

Could you send one over that's 20 units in diameter?
With the bumps included or the just the sphere surface? You do realize that is 40 bricks in diameter right? Huge if you ask me.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:50:20 PM by Demian »

With the bumps included or the just the sphere surface? You do realize that is 40 bricks in diameter right? Huge if you ask me.
With the bumps, please. I want it huge because I'm starting it at a very small scale and scaling up, since vehicle collision seems to work fine at small scales but bug up at scales bigger than 2.