Author Topic: Gaben confirms Source2 engine  (Read 4265 times)

crysis sandbox in-game testing literally runs the game inside the editor, and it can go full-screen. everything works almost exactly the same (except for some weird physics bugs in the editor). the best part is that when you press the button, you are instantly in-game. then you can press escape to go right back to editing.

this, for example, is in-game testing with the crysis sandbox.
but that just doesn't work well in most cases.  It only works well if you're looking for errors.  Otherwise, you have to load up the whole thing and start from the beginning to properly test.  Frankly, it's distracting to have such quick access to the game.  I like how Portal 2's editor does it.  You can switch modes very quickly (unless you have to compile) and if you make any changes, you start from the beginning.  You can still tab back easily if you're comparing something's logic to how it actually behaves, but you still have to play through your level to see the changes.

Nah, it's very hard and Valve doesn't give a stuff about making its games better.
Are you sure your not mistaking Valve with another company? EA

Are you sure your not mistaking Valve with another company? EA
I wish I could find everything I've ever written about Valve (and TF2), but I just can't seem to find all of it. I'll see what I can find tomorrow.

I wish I could find everything I've ever written about Valve (and TF2), but I just can't seem to find all of it. I'll see what I can find tomorrow.
It depends on what you want to make. Source is much more flexible in terms of what you can do than say, Blockland but it take a toll on the ease of creation. On the other hand, it can sometimes be pretty easy mod games like CSS serverside with Sourcemod etc.

If you really want to find stuff to say against TF2, it would be useless, I mean this game is extremelly balanced, and not Pay 2 Win like those other free games, it's all about skills, you still could beat other players easily with default weapons

beta picture:

[img width=800]http://gamestatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Unreal-Engine-4-3.jpg[/img]
That's Unreal Engine...

The new Unreal Engine's lighting is insane. I saw a demo video of it a while ago and was thoroughly impressed at how stuffty lighting is in current gen games compared to it.

Yeah, they're doing crazy stuff with real time radiosity.  With Valve's focus on realistic lighting in the past, I hope that Source 2 can blow it out of the water (especially with good water effects).

Yeah, they're doing crazy stuff with real time radiosity.  With Valve's focus on realistic lighting in the past, I hope that Source 2 can blow it out of the water (especially with good water effects).
Yea, that would be awesome. I think it would be pretty cool to port CS:GO to the new engine, I think it would bring more popularity to the game (I'm surprised it's not more popular; GO is amazing imo).

Yea, that would be awesome. I think it would be pretty cool to port CS:GO to the new engine, I think it would bring more popularity to the game (I'm surprised it's not more popular; GO is amazing imo).
the CS community tends to be extremely conservative.  That really doesn't bode well for word of mouth type popularity.  Also, they're waiting for an official CS2, presumably with the new engine.

They just need to make a new game and a #2 of it with the new engine.

A new game would be dope as well. I mainly played CSS for the Surf and SK gamemodes. I can't quite tell if it is just due to age but CSS just feels more 'moddable' (like Quake in a sense) than GO; I tend to enjoy customized gamemodes more anyway.

The Source engine even to this day is very nice.  Valve still uses it for a reason.

I cannot wait to see what kind of graphical achievements this new engine will cause.

I have always adored the Source engine. It feels fantastic, I love the simplicity and beauty about it. I have always felt other overly polished games with fantastic graphics feel very hacky. It all depends upon the art style, however. Let's take skyrim for example. It has very nice, and simplistic graphics, and it feels fairly moddable. On the other hand, we have games like Battlefield 3, for instance. Its advanced graphics style makes it hard to imagine mods accompanying the game.