Author Topic: Gaben confirms Source2 engine  (Read 4262 times)

Source is awesome because it's one of the few engines without garbage blurry streaming content, native mouse control, and really low latency input.

I think that Valve should open source Source. It would be a pretty good move considering their push for Linux gaming as well as the developer crowd it would attract.

The current Source engine still manages to perform well in most cases, however, i would like to see the results of Source 2. :)

but that just doesn't work well in most cases.  It only works well if you're looking for errors.  Otherwise, you have to load up the whole thing and start from the beginning to properly test.  Frankly, it's distracting to have such quick access to the game.  I like how Portal 2's editor does it.  You can switch modes very quickly (unless you have to compile) and if you make any changes, you start from the beginning.  You can still tab back easily if you're comparing something's logic to how it actually behaves, but you still have to play through your level to see the changes.
that makes no sense. there's nothing stopping a player from placing themselves at the start of their map and running through it and playing through it normally.

that makes no sense. there's nothing stopping a player from placing themselves at the start of their map and running through it and playing through it normally.
There shouldn't be, but the engines I've seen always spawn you at the viewport's current position.  Now if it could drop you automatically in a bot game or proper sigleplayer start, there would be no problem.  There is no use in just running around the world if you know what you're doing, and it just serves as a distraction.

There shouldn't be, but the engines I've seen always spawn you at the viewport's current position.  Now if it could drop you automatically in a bot game or proper sigleplayer start, there would be no problem.  There is no use in just running around the world if you know what you're doing, and it just serves as a distraction.

you place your camera at where you would normally start the level and then do in-game mode. it'll play exactly like the game would.

[img width=800]http://gamestatics.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Unreal-Engine-4-3.jpg[/img]
That's Unreal Engine...
thanks for killing the fun
:c