Poll

Should the personal account be offered for free?

Yes. I would use it at this point.
31 (46.3%)
Yes, it should.
30 (44.8%)
No. Keep it 3.50.
6 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: blockStar - Hosting Administrative Services (Temporarily Locked - Page 24)  (Read 22261 times)

This will be hosted on my web server. Backups will be made automatically, and data will be sent to a backup server hourly. All data is kept safe with ASP.NET 4 Security Checks.

Also, there is a market for blockStar. A lot of people prefer to use their own server, and with blockStar, they can do that. It's a very easy concept. Then there are people who host servers, or run clans that host their own servers.

A lot of people prefer to use their own server, and with blockStar, they can do that. It's a very easy concept.

But they can do it without blockStar too - and as you said, hosting your own server is a very easy concept. The hard part about hosting is having good hardware and a good connection.

You're offering basic remote management functionality that exists for free for most other games and will eventually exist for free for Blockland too, be it through RTB or something someone else makes. Nobody's going to pay a subscription to be able to remotely manage a server they host themselves, sorry.

This will be hosted on my web server. Backups will be made automatically, and data will be sent to a backup server hourly. All data is kept safe with ASP.NET 4 Security Checks.

Also, there is a market for blockStar. A lot of people prefer to use their own server, and with blockStar, they can do that. It's a very easy concept. Then there are people who host servers, or run clans that host their own servers.
We get the concept, but no one is going to pay for it, especially for 3 bucks a month. Not saying i'm a cheapo, but its a rip off.

Considering all that you get for merely 3$ a month, I would count on people buying it. If that person wants to spend 2 more dollars, probably give up a few features, and have their server hosted, then they can do so. I can't stop them. However, I have been contacted by many people asking when they will be able to subscribe. This acts as adamant evidence to me that this idea is well desired. It will take me releasing this to prove that this model does work. I'm not going in blind here. I assure you that. If blockStar got only 2 subscribers, it would be worth it. But I assure you that it will attract well over 2 subscribers.

Oh my god. It makes no sense to have it that expensive (for what it offers). It should either be a one time payment or like, a dollar.

Also, no offence, but the interface looks kind of ugly imo.

You're offering basic remote management functionality that exists for free for most other games and will eventually exist for free for Blockland too, be it through RTB or something someone else makes. Nobody's going to pay a subscription to be able to remotely manage a server they host themselves, sorry.
Jeep has a great idea about server management but I disagree with the paid features of it. That's probably the only disagreeable part. Remember, Jeep said that there will probably be a free version of this server management tool, meaning the paid part is only a supplement. A free version thereof is direct competition to you. You, on the other hand, have done nothing innovative with server management. All RTB has to offer as far as server management goes is preference changing and online/out-of-server player list viewing (don't forget the inability of RTB to detect a player as the host of a dedicated server! Funny how whenever I mentioned that inability my post was deleted) . You're quick to put down someone else's attempt (by unfairly considering only the parts you don't like) and make the bullstuff claim that RTB will come to the rescue. You've been here for years handling a server-management add-on yet you failed to innovative thereon. You have a continuous habit of putting down people's projects when they come near to your non-innovative projects. There are a few other possible grounds whereon you could be against this project, such as that features better than those on RTB’s hosting can be provided for free. I get called anti-competition for pointing out issues; no one calls you anti-competition despite your long history of it. Your goals are to drive out potential competition by discouragement and stuffposting until death.  See: Blockland Cloud and Kaphost stuffposting and abuse; this topic

Damn you're a broken record haha. Take your bullstuff somewhere else - that's totally off-topic.

I have been contacted by many people asking when they will be able to subscribe. This acts as adamant evidence to me that this idea is well desired. It will take me releasing this to prove that this model does work. I'm not going in blind here. I assure you that.

Yeah I guess it's going to take an actual attempt to see whether this will work or not if people are actually showing genuine interest. Should be good to see what happens!
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 12:56:22 PM by Ephialtes »

I would agree with that. The best way to see how well blockStar is supported is to release it.

Damn you're a broken record haha. Take your bullstuff somewhere else - that's totally off-topic.
I stated that without the payment options, Jeep has something way better than what RTB calls "server management". Obviously this thread isn't about RTB but RTB is definitely tied to you, and you have been posting negative comments denouncing this idea.

Since I care about the community and don't need to loathe myself and my service, I'm for this idea.  It turns out I can run a hosting service but not desire its server management features to be exclusive only to the service. The RTB service isn't about servers, it's about your egos. You're free to dispute what the RTB service is about, however this is not the place; discussing your motives for posting negative connotations in this thread is definitely on-topic.

Jeep, if you need help, I can help.

I'll definitely keep the offer in mind. You certainly seem to support blockStar, and have the hosting credentials to back it.

Login Screen (animated fully)

Authenticator (passed login - also animated)

Dashboard (this is *heavily* wip - so it is a bit plain right now)

At the moment, it's still running on my localhost development server. The mod successfully can communicate with the server and transfer data both ways.

I wasn't looking for access. I was asking whether it was a web page.

-edit-
Woops, misunderstood the question. Sorry about that. Yes, this is the website.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:55:31 PM by Jeep »