Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310043 times)

yeah, its a quick download
once you get the OS running, open the terminal and put
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install wine
Okay, thanks. I haven't gotten the new board yet so I don't even know for sure if that is the issue. I just swapped PSUs and tried to power on my pc but had the same result.

Why do you have to reinstall? Also did you not see bisjac's post?

Because I'm 80% certain that my mobo is fried and so I have to change it. During mobo change, I have to reinstall the OS. I also have literally $0 money so I can't afford to spend a single cent.

Because I'm 80% certain that my mobo is fried and so I have to change it. During mobo change, I have to reinstall the OS. I also have literally $0 money so I can't afford to spend a single cent.
why do you need to reinstall the OS?

But why would you need to reinstall? Just swap out the motherboard. It's not like your changing the hard drive.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1715077/operating-system-upgrading-motherboard.html
I have to reactivate or reinstall an OS when swapping mobos. Unfortunately I don't know the activation key/whatever it is to get it working

oh yeah thats true it does forget up windows keys :/

There are 2 different kinds of windows keys. OEM keys; which are one time use and on activation get tied to a motherboard and cant be activated to a different motherboard*; and Fully Licensed keys, Fully licensed keys can be used any one computer at a time.

*This is the way it is supposed to be, but if you call the support hotline the indian guy behind the other line has no problem re-activating your key for you, for free aswell.

There are 2 different kinds of windows keys. OEM keys; which are one time use and on activation get tied to a motherboard and cant be activated to a different motherboard*; and Fully Licensed keys, Fully licensed keys can be used any one computer at a time.

*This is the way it is supposed to be, but if you call the support hotline the indian guy behind the other line has no problem re-activating your key for you, for free aswell.

They're not called OEM's now, they changed the license to a System Builder's license. As far as I know it should automatically re-activate the key once you try to install it on another motherboard and if it doesn't then Microsoft is fine with doing it for you. They don't do full retail licenses anymore AFAIK

So today I got around to trying to remove and reinstall Cygwin
About 4 hours ago I ran the command to delete the CW directory
4 hours later, its still running in Cmd, so I decided to take a look in the folders properties to see how large it was at the moment
it was 27 31 loving gigabytes
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 04:55:13 PM by Becquerel »

They're not called OEM's now, they changed the license to a System Builder's license. As far as I know it should automatically re-activate the key once you try to install it on another motherboard and if it doesn't then Microsoft is fine with doing it for you. They don't do full retail licenses anymore AFAIK
Sweet! Good to know I haven't had to buy an OS myself in over 4 years.

where do i get those

where do i get those

They're the only licenses you can buy anymore

Man I need a computer, I officially have non because of a Corrupt ACL error and I need one for school and photography :/...