Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1310597 times)

Man I need a computer, I officially have non because of a Corrupt ACL error and I need one for school and photography :/...
You could do a re-install of windows right?

You could do a re-install of windows right?

Not sure, can I? I tried searching on Google about corrupt ACL and I couldn't find anything..

Not sure, can I? I tried searching on Google about corrupt ACL and I couldn't find anything..
Could you elaborate more about when the error occurs and under what circumstances? Does it boot up at all?

What we're saying is that if all else fails you can just reinstall the entire operating system to fix the error. It's always an option as long as the issue isn't actually hardware related.

If you can get onto your desktop you might want to try this:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/access-control-list-repair-utility-for-windows-7

Or this if not (I think):
Or -
We can try to run SubInACL through the Command Prompt in Startup Repair (I've never done this before, so it may require some tweaking).
Open up Startup Repair and select the Command Prompt option.
Then try the instructions from this post:  http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-device-manager-is-blank-545563-2.html#post3104592

Please note the drive specifications in Jenae's batch file - and ensure that you're using the right one's from the drive(s) in Startup Repair.  Startup Repair usually starts on the X:\ drive - and there's often a C:\drive that's the boot partition - then Windows resides on the D:\ drive/partition.

Could you elaborate more about when the error occurs and under what circumstances? Does it boot up at all?

What we're saying is that if all else fails you can just reinstall the entire operating system to fix the error. It's always an option as long as the issue isn't actually hardware related.

Apparently the ACL is stuff in the registry that determines access rights for accounts and individual files or something
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 06:47:47 PM by Tokthree »

It boots up, then when it gets to the login screen, it used to get a black screen with a mouse cursor... Now for some reason it, when it reaches the login screen, it restarts. It tried system repair and it only does "Repair System" I don't get the cmd, system restore, etc. options anymore while running system repair. I noticed that when I ran system repair, it no longer asked me to log in to a administrator account, which is odd.. Does that mean my account got corrupted?  So should I just reinstall the operating system?

The easiest option would be to reinstall, yes. Simply considering that you probably don't want to go through a whole debugging process. If you need to retrieve files beforehand you can do this fairly easily by booting into an alternate system from a USB stick or CD. Though, you'll need another working computer to make the USB stick if you do that. Borrow a friend's computer, or if your library has relatively unrestricted computers you might be able to use those. If you want to do that I can elaborate on how to do it, it's not too involved.

If you want to do that I can elaborate on how to do it, it's not too involved.
Yes please, your a life saver!

You'll want at least two USB sticks. One for booting off of and one to save your stuff to.
The easiest system to get it done quickly would be Ubuntu. Download it here.
If you use a computer with Windows 7 or later you should be able to just double click the .iso file to 'open' it.
Erase all the files on the USB stick and copy the Ubuntu iso files onto it.
That's all you'll have to do on a different computer.

Then we'll go over to your desktop and turn it on with the Ubuntu USB stick plugged in. As it boots try to see if the splash screen on boot mentions pressing a key to reach the boot menu or BIOS settings. Boot menu preferred. (If it doesn't say what key to use, first try the Delete key {Not the backspace}, if not that try F7, then F2, then just try mashing all of them at once to see if any of them work)
During the splash screen mash the selected key a bunch of times until the menu pops up. If the windows boot starts you'll have to shut it down and try again.
Once on the boot menu, select the option to boot from USB. If not that, try selecting the device that sounds the most likely to be your USB drive (It will likely mention the brand name). If you get the BIOS menu instead, search around for the option for 'Boot order' and set the 'USB Boot' (Or the device that sounds like your USB drive) to be the first option. This is probably the most involved step.
Once you have that done, the Ubuntu system should load up and prompt if you want to install Ubuntu. Just ignore that and and click the 'Try Ubuntu' option instead. This will load up an instance of Ubuntu that is not saved to your system.
Once it loads up, you should be able to open Ubuntu's file manager. Find your desktop's hard drive in the list on the list to the left side. From there you can access all the files that are on your desktop's drive. Plug in another USB stick and just drag over the files you want to rescue.

Once you're done with this, you can follow One of many guides for it to go about reinstalling Windows itself. Just make sure you have your Windows activation key, which should be attached directly to your computer as a sticker somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 08:09:12 PM by Pecon »

I got my new board, plugged everything in but it will not start up. There is a green LED on my board.
Help pls?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 03:31:31 PM by Sheepocalypse »

I showed my nerd buddy my build and apperently dual core cpu's can slow down your gpu somehow or whatever.
Can someone confirm this is bs?

I showed my nerd buddy my build and apperently dual core cpu's can slow down your gpu somehow or whatever.
do you mean bottlenecking?

Nah mane, he's just jelly of such a fantastic build, he can't handle the the Pentium G3258!