[MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments

Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1311027 times)

I recently bought this laptop from amazon: Link.

Cpu: i7-6700hq 2.6ghz
Gpu: Gtx 960m 4gb Vram
Ram: 16gb Ddr3
Storage: 1tb Hd + 128Ssd

I'm planning to use it for school and a bit of gaming, but I seem to have heat issues. The cpu idles at about 46°C - 68°C, and under heavy loads goes up to temps of 90+ at times even reaching 100°C. I'm playing Battlefield 1 on the lowest settings. I'm worried about this and was wondering if I should just return it and get something else.
It's normal for laptops to get somewhat toasty, but if it starts to thermal throttle, elevate the laptop up a bit with like an old dvd case or something and use it on a solid surface so it doesn't suffocate

that or just buy a cheap 20 dollar laptop cooler

noedit: tl;dr a huge amount of ryzen threadripper reviews came out today (cpu got released today), and it's really damn good - it's better than intel's core i9

Should I buy GTX 1080 or wait for Volta/Vega?

Should I buy GTX 1080 or wait for Volta/Vega?
I suggest wait and see the benchmarks for the price they're offered at

Good gaming laptops? My girlfriend needs an upgrade.

gaming laptops are a meme
go for enterprise focused laptops, HP Elitebooks, Lenovo Thinkpads (t, x, or w series only!!), etc

Currently, Dell has great ones for the price

For 749.99, I suggest this laptop. It has an i5-7300HQ, 8gb ram, 1tb hybrid drive, and a GTX 1050 (non-ti) with 4gb. The screen is also 1080p.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/inspiron-15-7567-laptop/dncwf513s

would an gtx 1050 amd apu a10 7860k and 8 gb of ram make a decent pc?

gaming laptops are a meme
enterprise focused
arent enterprise focused products more expensive as well lol

I've been out of it for a few months, are Radeon cards and AMD chips good now?

I've been out of it for a few months, are Radeon cards and AMD chips good now?
radeon cards are now just amd cards.
amd's latest cpu's are ryzen, which have been the first chips to actually give Intel some competition. They're definitely catching up, and the rx gpu series is a great low-to-mid range set of cards.

Unfortunately, GPU prices are up as of late because of cryptocurrency mining. Has hit AMD pretty hard and is now starting to hit NVIDIA pretty hard. Dunno when that'll change.