[MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments

Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1311333 times)

Alright, managed to put together a pretty decent build for ghost. I'm assuming his dads case is usable and that he already has a hard drive.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Chipskate/saved/#view=9stscf

Also, are you completely sure you can't spend more than $400? Because if you stretch the budget by LITERALLY LESS THAN $4 you can have a 260X instead of the 250, which is MUCH faster: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/visiontek-video-card-900650

a Seagate one of course
The forget do you imply by this? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and Ive... own a Seagate Barracuda 200GB IDE drive since 2006 (I think) and the stuff still works like a charm with an impressive opera while writing and spinning up.

I DON'T CARE IF IT'S NOT A PRO MLG GAMING COMPUTER

the only thing i want is a computer that is faster than mine
that's all

also my dad already has a case but he doesn't know what model is it
that's all i can say about that case
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1JA24KCAjE

Also, are you completely sure you can't spend more than $400? Because if you stretch the budget by LITERALLY LESS THAN $4 you can have a 260X instead of the 250, which is MUCH faster: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/visiontek-video-card-900650

What are you looking at? Adding an r7 260X to that partslist that's available at the stores he listed brings the price to $452 Canadian. From what I've read the A10 in my partslist should be at least as good as the G3258 + r7 250 in yours while allowing for a new case as well. It also gives him the option to get an r7 260X later and run it in dual-graphics mode with the A10 for even better performance, as an individual who is clearly on a very very tight budget I think my choice gives him a better upgrade path.

Edit; Just noticed the link to the r7 260X in your post. Unknown graphics card brands? *gratuitous retching sounds* I'd rather suffer somewhat lesser performance than buy a card from a brand I've never heard of that costs almost $50 less than it's nearest available competitor. Especially when I'm on a budget and can't afford to cover the costs of a card that malfunctions soon after purchase
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:55:24 PM by Tokthree »

read the whole thing before complaining about anything

my dad is going to build a new computer

budget: $400 (i know it's not a lot but this is what i only have)

i cannot save for more money because i'm a poorcigarette

anyway there's only 3 things that has to be respected

1. that computer must be better than my actual computer

2. these parts must be avaiable on tigerdirect.ca, bestdirect.ca and ncix.ca

3. the price will NEVER go over $400

this is what i actually have: monitor, keyboard, mouse and the case

the things i need: Motherboard (maybe one that the CPU is already installed), RAM, GPU, PSU (650 watts or more)
Ok.

So, why exactly must it be 650 watts or more? Because you don't need anywhere near that for whatever build you might get for $400.

And second, why must it be from those vendors? You can get a noticeably better PC if you're willing to open up the options here a bit.

Lastly, do you actually have a hard drive that will work? It needs to have a SATA connection, and old IDE drive will not work in this case.

Also, what do you mean, "maybe one that the CPU is already installed"?

The forget do you imply by this? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and Ive... own a Seagate Barracuda 200GB IDE drive since 2006 (I think) and the stuff still works like a charm with an impressive opera while writing and spinning up.

Just because you havnt issues with it doesnt make them any more reliable. They are known to fail, yours doesn't magically false.

I've only had two hard-drives fail in my life. Both were Seagate. They have a reputation for failing quicker than others and I can back this up from personal experience.

-snip-
You're overestimating how fast the 7850K's GPU actually is. Specification-wise it's about the same as an R7 240, and since it doesn't have its own dedicated VRAM but uses system RAM instead it's going to be even slower, especially with the 1333MHz RAM in your build (which btw doesn't have nearly enough of it, especially for an APU). Even if he uses the fastest possible RAM (2133MHz IIRC) and crossfires it with an R7 250, the fastest card you can crossfire the 7850K with, it's still going to be slower than a 260X. As for the CPU part, the G3258 wins that, too; it matches or slightly trails the 7850K in multi-threaded performance, and completely trounces it in single-threaded. It also overclocks like mad; I've read about one guy reaching 4.5 GHz on the exact same board that my build uses without exceeding the maximum safe voltage, and at those speeds it completely obliterates the 7850K. The Pentium also has the advantage of being upgradable to something like an i5 in the future, unlike the A10 which is most likely the fastest chip that'll be released on FM2+.

Also, there's nothing wrong with the VisionTek card. You may not have heard of them, but they've actually been in the graphics card business since the late 80's, and they've been an ATi/AMD vendor for about as long. Admittedly I could only find one review of their 260X, but it's from a reputable site, and they seemed pretty pleased by it: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/5917/visiontek-radeon-r7-260x-2gb-overclocked-video-card-review/index.html

I agree that trusting his dad in supplying a case is a bit risky, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. My build uses a Micro-ATX motherboard, and both the 250 and 260X's I chose are pretty short, so as long as it has standard ATX mounting holes everything should fit just fine.

Clock speed isnt everything, bro.
you can say that about amd aswell :|

Clock speed isnt everything, bro.
that's not what my mom told me;/... :(

Without knowing what your case is this is the best I can do;

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Tokthree/saved/#view=dRYhP6.

Not knowing what your case is means that I had to allocate $50 to a new case to ensure compatibility. I cannot get you a 650w PSU but you will NOT require more than 500w considering how tight your budget is now and is likely to be in the future.
The CPU has a built in AMD r7-series GPU and if you want to upgrade in the future you can buy an AMD graphics card and run them together in Crossfire for extra performance.

The only difficulty you'll face with this build is the BIOS. You will need to update the BIOS before you can install the CPU, thankfully this motherboard supports USB BIOS flashing. Here's a guide on how to do this without going out and spending $50 on an old FM2+ CPU which is supported from the first BIOS version.

Edit:

Now guys, Yndaaa has thrown down the gauntlet; he wants to know and see if ANYONE can manage to put together a better rig for the same price or less as my one. That's $402 Canadian (rounded up) with no rebates from NCIX, TigerDirect or BestDirect.
yus

i hope that integrated graphics will be a little bit better than my actual gpu (lol)

and also they are cheap

thanks

edit: my dad has lots of HDDs at his house

most of them are IDE Hard Drives
well anyway i'm happy about this
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 08:38:43 AM by 77x5ghost2 »

i hope that integrated graphics will be a little bit better than my actual gpu (lol)
Said no one ever.

Said no one ever.

He'd need some better RAM for the shared memory.

Had this problem for a long time running windows 8 while a dead drive was sitting connected to the machine. The solution is to simply remove the dead drive.
Well, with a new 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO now being added to my rig along with a old 80 GB HDD just for the heck of it after removing a 1 TB WD Blue HDD, it appears that everything is working fine for now, considering boot times are back to it's normal and random hangs no longer occur. I also used this hotfix if it means anything.  The strange thing was that the drive that apparantly has issues worked fine so much so that the other HDD (being the 1 TB WD Black one) appeared to be the problem drive. Whatever the issue is it's clearly been resolved so I can just enjoy my PC again.