Poll

x86 Or ARM?

x86
ARM

Author Topic: [MEGATHREAD] Personal Computer - Updated builds thanks to Logical Increments  (Read 1312340 times)

rip emone

Have you tried it out yet or did you literally just now get it

I will once I do my data migration on my 250gb 850 Evo.  I have 3 850 Evo's already so I know performance won't be lightyears faster but hey, why not, if you have the money to burn why tf not!

« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 04:41:36 PM by suburb »

i've had the 100r case before. it's alright, but i recommend you get something else-- or just some dust filters.

Is the i7-7700k worth it or should I just get a 6600k?

Is the i7-7700k worth it or should I just get a 6600k?
7700K is only like 3% faster than a 6600K. Get whichever is cheaper.

I am back after many frustrating issues with SATA ports that stopped working after putting in the NVMe drive that the manual doesn't state anything about (so I got that going for me which is nice)

Speeds are expected to be good, and they certainly are, however, I am slightly dissapointed Samsung's RAPID mode can still beat it in speeds with RAM caching

960 Evo M.2 PCIe NVMe Speeds

850 Evo Speeds

Guess it is unfair to compare RAM caching on 2666 MHz quad channel DDR4 since it is way faster than DDR3 can be at dual but oh well, I can live with the speeds

EDIT:  I installed some NVMe Drivers for the 960 EVO from Samsung's website and it seems to have caused some good improvements on the drive speeds

Remember kids, SSD's need drivers too!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 08:38:04 PM by suburb »

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150 Gaming M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($94.99 @ Jet)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($54.97 @ Jet)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB GAMING X 4G Video Card  ($159.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($49.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.88 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($17.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $691.11
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-12 15:08 EST-0500

we got $20+ cheaper, and i still got some pretty nice parts in.
think this is about good?
This looks really nice, though I really recommend you get an SSD since it makes an enormous difference in system speed. If don't have enough money for both the SSD and HDD you could always drop the hard drive and add it later when you can afford it. I also think you should wait until AMD Ryzen is released since you'll either be able to get a faster CPU for the same price or an almost equal CPU for less.

Speaking of which, I think there hasn't been enough talk about Ryzen over here so let me get the hype train up to speed. A user on a Chinese forum leaked a price list of the Ryzen CPUs: http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4975965039?pn=0&
Reddit user Nestledrink then took said list and added approximated US prices, and this is the result:

Some highlights:
- The middle-of-the-pack 8-core CPU, the Ryzen 7 1700X which IIRC AMD demoed against the 6900K at the New Horizons' event, costs less than half of the 6900K despite having comparable performance.
- The cheapest 8-core on the other hand is only $7 more than Intels fastest socket 1151 CPU, the 7700K, despite having twice the cores.
- The cheapest hexa-core, the Ryzen 5 1500, lands smack-bang in the middle of the i5 segment.
- The Ryzen 5 1300, a lower clocked i7 equivalent, is not only cheaper than all of the i5s, but is cheaper or the same price as the i3-7350K!
- The Ryzen 3 quad-cores essentially make the i3s obsolete, especially now that the Pentiums have Hyperthreading.
Obviously these are all rumours but if they're true then holy stuff Intel are f u c k e d .

How long is it until Ryzen tho, asking because everything is rumour and not fact. I don't really think it'd be worth waiting a year+ after you're able to buy everything

Official launch is on March 2nd or 3rd (I forgot), and that's supposed to be a full launch with retail availability and everything. It's not entirely clear if it's the full product stack or just the 8-cores being launched, but either way the rest of the models aren't far away.

Oh hell that's close ok nvm

If it's that close then I may go with Ryzen on my future build, just depending on the damn pricing and how much they fluctuate / them being inflated by carriers, and benchmarks bb
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 09:30:14 AM by Insert Name Here² »

been waiting for ryzen since september, hype is real

been waiting for ryzen since september, hype is real
this

Hurry up pls ur killing us