Author Topic: 2013/01/02 - Blockland r1783  (Read 45534 times)

Is badspot ever genna fix shading so that when you go in a building and there are no lights its actually dark.
It already takes a lot of juice from your computer to calculate shadows. I don't think he will add closed space shadowing any time soon.

You can already do that. Turn down the ambient lighting and turn on shadows.

Badspot

• Administrator
Is badspot ever genna fix shading so that when you go in a building and there are no lights its actually dark.

It already does this.  Set shadow color to black from the environment menu. 

It already does this.  Set shadow color to black from the environment menu. 
Make sure your shaders are at least minimum and not off. If they are off, the studs may appear not totally dark.

Make sure your shaders are at least minimum and not off. If they are off, the studs may appear not totally dark.
At least low*

My launcher just downloaded base files for no reason. Same revision number still.

It already does this.  Set shadow color to black from the environment menu.  

This makes every shaded inch available totally black. I'm hoping for a way to actually accomplish realistic shadows where light reflections is a factor. For example, if the only light source in a room is a window it shouldn't only provide a silhouette of the window in the room. The light should spread and make parts of the room that isn't touched by direct sunlight relatively lit and not pitch black.

This makes every shaded inch available totally black. I'm hoping for a way to actually accomplish realistic shadows where light reflections is a factor. For example, if the only light source in a room is a window it shouldn't only provide a silhouette of the window in the room. The light should spread and make parts of the room that isn't touched by direct sunlight relatively lit and not pitch black.
Light bouncing would be way too heavy on the computer. Considering how resource intensive the shadows currently are.

It already does this.  Set shadow color to black from the environment menu.  
I think he's talking about having an effect like in Minecraft - where the deeper you go into a cave, the darker it gets.

Like, having a room with no windows and it being completely black inside, while outside shadows aren't competely black.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:43:15 AM by General »

Light bouncing would be way too heavy on the computer. Considering how resource intensive the shadows currently are.
Bouncing light will be heavy on the computer, but what if instead make bricks under other bricks get darker towards the centre of the brick it's under? Like gradient shadows.

Sorry I am crap at explaining things.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 10:50:56 AM by General »

Bouncing light will be heavy on the computer, but what if instead make bricks under other bricks get darker towards the centre of the brick it's under? Like gradient shadows.

Sorry I am crap at explaining things.
That's called ambient occlusion. Light bouncing and AO sound too complex for our little engine. Remember, we just got shadows. Other game engines have shadows out of the box.

That's called ambient occlusion. Light bouncing and AO sound too complex for our little engine. Remember, we just got shadows. Other game engines have shadows out of the box.
Complex for our engine? Yet a game running on Java handles it quite well?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:01:28 AM by General »

Complex for our engine? Yet a game running on Java handles it quite well?
There's a really good reason for that.

Minecraft calculates lighting per voxel.
Blockland calculates lighting per pixel.

Voxels are possibly over a thousand times bigger than a pixel.

The effect is not that bad, however.
That doesn't change what I said in the slightest. Blockland doesn't use Voxels. Also, the only thing casting shadows in minecraft are the blocks. This also means shadows are only calculated when there's a block or lighting change. Where with Blockland, it's calculated in real-time.

Edit: And one final note, the sun always lights straight down in Minecraft despite that it moves. Where the sun in Blockland has dynamic angles.