World's Best Blockland Server?

Author Topic: World's Best Blockland Server?  (Read 1092 times)

This is sort of a three-part question.  The topic is a massive Blockland world.

1. Has there ever been one?
2. Is there any interest in creating one?
3. And is it entirely possible to create?

This is just a wild idea at the moment, but what if members of the community pitched in to create the world's best Blockland server?  I do understand the difficulty of gaining everybody's participation, therefore it could only go two ways: (1. It would be a great success, or (2. It would be the greatest fail on record.  There are two ways (in my mind) that the actual world could work.

1. Use multiple servers linked to an internet database
2. Limit the amount of bricks/size of the map and space out the different territories.
(Using dedicated servers, of course)

There could be different aspects to the world including Politics, War, Business, Crime, Survival, etc.  Basically a massive RP, but not as messy/unorganized as some of the generic RP servers out there.

I was designing a game much like this. Though I did not get beyond the designing part, I have created a basic idea for the system and the way things could work.  Also, I have seen something similar done on another game before, but with the simplicity of blockland I'm sure it would be better.

Feel free to throw ideas in, support the idea, explain my idiocy, or completely shut me down.  Just throwing it out there.

-Sam

so you're suggesting a gigantic world RP?

make a standalone expansion

so you're suggesting a gigantic world RP?
Sounds like it.
To be honest this is pretty impractical. To build a map that big would take forever, and it wouldn't look good because there wouldn't be time for details. And unless there's some sort of mod like city rpg, this would have to be a messy unorganized rp. Besides, the first option- connecting multiple servers into one massive server, is impossible.

connecting multiple servers into one massive server, is impossible.
Mke it have a client-sided part that will join you over to the part 2 server and have both connected to a database to share variables.