Author Topic: ████ Disable the Java software on your web browsers to avoid hacking ████  (Read 3435 times)

I was working on fixing my modem on 1/12/13 and while an update was installing I had a small chat with the tech about Java. He told me that Java has been found
to have a flaw in their coding that can allow criminal activity and other high-tech mischief. I advise you to disable Java in your web browsers to avoid any dangerous
activity and just to be on the safe side of the story.

Java will be sending a patch to fix this problem in maybe a few days, or a few weeks.

This does not affect Minecraft or any other Java based games as long as they're not played on your browser!

Articles
ABC News
Apple Insider
CBS News
Fox News
Politico
The Christian Science Monitor
USA Today
Yahoo! News
ZDNet
ZDNet(1)

Tutorials

Google Chrome
Type "chrome://plugins" into your address bar. This will bring up a new tab. Find the item on the list that reads just plain "Java" and click below it where it says "Disable" in blue.
Restart your browser.

Safari
Choose "Safari" and then "Preferences" on the taskbar or hit control and comma simultaneously. Click "Security" on the top row of the new window.
Uncheck the box that reads "Enable Java" if checked. Restart your browser.

Internet Explorer 8,9, and 10
Go to the "Tools" menu and select "Manage Add-ons." Go to the left of the window that pops up and in the drop-down box below the heading "Show:" select "All Add-ons."
Scroll down the list on the right of the window until you find a subheading under the category "Group" that reads "Oracle America, Inc."
Select each item and disable it with the "Disable" button in the bottom right-hand corner of the window. Restart your browser.

Firefox
Go to the "Tools" menu and select "Add-ons" or hit ctrl, shift, and the letter 'a' simultaneously. Select "Plug-ins" on the left-hand side of the new tab that shows up.
Scroll the list on the right-hand side of the screen until you find an item that reads "Java (TM) Platform [somethingsomethingsomething]." Click the "Disable" button on the right. Restart your browser.

Opera
Press CTRL-F12
Select the "Advanced" tab
Select "Content"
Ensure "Enable plugins on demand" is enabled

Thank you for reading, and stay safe.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:10:51 PM by Navaro »

This is like the 3rd 2nd? topic, but it has the best looking OP so it can stay.

who is "him"
I've made several fixes since I first posted this.

i never drink coffee anyway

Wait so what should I do if I'm on firefox?

Adding tutorials now.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 04:45:31 PM by Navaro »

Alright I disabled the Java platform thing with a red warning.

silly people who don't know how to whitelist websites for plugins

I find this very funny as I always have had Java disabled unless I need it for something which is almost never.